On Tuesday, I reported on some “Exciting credit card rumors”. In that post, I focused on a likely new Ink Bold product, and an increased SPG bonus. However, in the comments of that post, Gary Leff (View from the Wing) coughed up something interesting:
I also expect Citibank and Hilton to announce something this week. I am not under any sort of non-disclosure agreement about these things..
Then today he added:
The Citi Hilton news I expected to come out today will come on Monday
It’s a new product that’s pretty good and that should be around awhile . Actually one of the best hotel products I’ve seen IMHO.
At first I wasn’t too excited about a Citibank/Hilton announcement. After all, American Express has two excellent Hilton cards already (see “Surpassing Expectations” and “Another Hilton Gem”). However, when Gary said this would be “one of the best hotel products I’ve seen”, my ears perked up big-time. Seriously? One of the best?
Gary knows very well that there exist many outstanding hotel cards: Amex Hilton, Chase Hyatt, Chase Fairmont, Chase Marriott, Chase Ritz, Chase Priority Club. These are really good products. Most of the Chase cards come with a signup bonus of two free nights (or enough points for two nights), and another free night annually. Can Citi not only match that, but beat it?
What magic does this new card hold?
Here are some random thoughts of what might be coming:
- Free nights? Sure two free nights at any Hilton property would be a great signup bonus, but would it be enough for Gary to call it the best he’s seen? I don’t think so. I think we’d have to see 2 free nights per year to warrant that opinion.
- Free points? I think the signup bonus would have to be 100,000 points to be considered the best. Will we see a new 100K offer?
- Elite status? The Amex cards already provide the means to earn high level elite status through big spend. Can this card trump that with automatic Gold status? That would be a nice benefit!
- Points per dollar? The Amex Hilton cards already offer 6 points per dollar in a number of popular categories. Can this card offer a multiple that’s even more attractive?
- Travel benefits? Maybe this card goes beyond Hilton benefits to airline club access, companion passes, or other perks?
What do you think?
I can hardly stand the wait! Tell me what you think is on the way. Or, simply spill the beans Gary!