Daily posts, weekly newsletters, deal alerts, blog comments… There’s a surprising amount of information swirling around the Frequent Miler blog and it can be a challenge to keep up with it all. Here is a guide that should help…
Daily Blog Posts
Every weekday I publish at least one new post. Usually these posts are targeted towards advanced points & miles collectors, and the usual topics include creative ways to earn points & miles and/or elite status. Truthfully, though, I tend to simply write about whatever interests me most at the time. Here are a few options for ensuring that you don’t miss any of these posts:
- RSS Feed / News Reader: Search for Frequent Miler within your favorite news reader, or enter “http://feeds.feedburner.com/FrequentMiler?format=xml” for the blog feed URL.
- Email: There are three (yes three!) different ways to get my blog posts delivered to your inbox each day:
- The best option is to sign up for my weekly newsletter (see below) and check the box on the sign-up form indicating that you would like to receive the Daily Blog.
- The next best option is to find the box titled “Subscribe by Email” on the right of every blog post and enter your email address there.
- The worst option (in my opinion) is to comment within any of my posts and check the box titled “Notify me of new posts by email.” The reason I don’t recommend this option is that the system that sends these does a poor job of formatting the blog posts. You’ll get better results with either of the above options.
I’ve created a free weekly tutorial series targeted towards those who are new to the points & miles game. The way it works is that regardless of when you sign up, you will get the tutorial posts, in order, about once a week starting with the very first lesson. To get started, click here. You will be presented with the following sign-up form:
Make sure to enter a valid email address and check the boxes at the bottom indicating whether or not you want to receive Deal Alerts or the Daily Blog as well.
Deal Alerts are occasional emails sent to newsletter subscribers. I try to pick out deals that are likely to appeal to a wide audience and that are unlikely to disappear by the time the email is read (in other words, I won’t send out information about mistake fares since these usually disappear quickly).
A lot of great information is spread not through any of the above mechanisms, but by readers through blog comments. By monitoring comments it is often possible to learn about opportunities before they are published anywhere else. If you would like to get an email when anyone comments on a particular post, then you need to comment there yourself and then check the box titled “Notify me of follow-up comments by email.” If you don’t have anything in particular to say, simply write “subscribing“. I’ll occasionally sweep through and delete those non-comments just to keep the conversation cleaner.
Here are some pages and posts that you might find interesting to subscribe to:
- Laboratory: This is the place people (including me) first announce their results when they try various point earning schemes.
- Contact Frequent Miler: People ask miscellaneous questions here and I do my best to answer. Other readers often help out as well!
- Best credit card offers: Going forward, whenever I add or remove a great sign-up offer, I’ll post a comment letting everyone know. Also, if anyone comes across great offers that aren’t listed, please let us know!
- Other credit card pages you might want to consider subscribing to include:
- If you’re interested in keeping up with details about various “5X Everywhere” techniques, consider subscribing to some of these posts:
I realize the problem here: by encouraging people to sign up for blog comments, everyone will be deluged with emails saying simply “subscribing”. All I can say is Sorry! The technical powers that be at BoardingArea tell me that our commenting engine has no option to allow people to subscribe except by commenting.