Kiva is a nonprofit organization that facilitates micro-loans to enterprising individuals around the world so that they may earn their own way out of poverty. By making loans through the Kiva website, you can be part of the solution to poverty AND earn points and miles (because you can use your credit card to finance loans).
A little over two years ago, the Kiva Lending Team started up on Milepoint and quickly began breaking records left and right. Despite our relatively small size, we are ranked 3rd among all Kiva teams in terms of amount loaned. And, this month we’ve been racing to top 5 million dollars in loans! In order to encourage extra loans this month, the team has been running its “Drive for Five (Million)” promotion. Each week in April you can register a loan you’ve made for a chance to win one of several prizes.
Even though we’ve almost reached $5 million in loans already (and may have reached the goal by the time you read this!), the contests continue. Here’s how to enter:
- If you haven’t already signed up with Kiva, you can do so through my link: www.kiva.org/invitedto/milepoint/by/FrequentMiler (By using my link, we each will get $25 free to loan, but unlike regular loans we will not be paid back for these).
- If you belong to Kiva, but not to the Milepoint lending team, please join us here: http://www.kiva.org/team/milepoint
- Find a loan and finance it here: www.kiva.org/lend
- Once a week, use this Google Docs form to enter the contest. There is still time to qualify for three entries with the following deadlines:
- Sun Apr 21st at 11:59pm EDT
- Sun April 28th at 11:59pm EDT
- Tues April 30th at 11:59pm EDT
If your entry is selected as one of two weekly winners, you can choose from either of these prizes:
- A ticket to Frequent Traveler University (Sept 27-29 in Tampa FL), or
- Milepoint Premium Membership 2013 (when available)
At the end of the month, each week’s entry will be used for the grand prize drawing for:
- A GRAND PRIZE of an exclusive guaranteed early booking for the upcoming Star Alliance MegaDO 5 or EuroDO!
Note that this would simply guaranty you the ability to buy a ticket on the next Star Alliance MegaDO. The winner would still be responsible for paying for the MegaDO ticket.
If you don’t know what a MegaDO is or why you would want to win a chance to buy a ticket on one, you can read what the New York Times said about the last Star Alliance MegaDO: Test-Flying the 787 Dreamliner.
Frequent Miler is on vacationPosts have been scheduled in advance. See you in September!