When I began blogging in 2011, Sears regularly offered 10 points per dollar for shopping through the Ultimate Rewards Mall. This was great because it was possible to double dip: go through the portal once to buy gift cards and a second time to buy products for a total of 20 points per dollar.
Eventually, the Sears’ 10X deal slipped away, but other great deals appeared at regular intervals. For example:
- In February, 2012, Nordstrom offered 36 Avios per dollar via the British Airways portal.
- In May, 2012, Sears offered 15 points per dollar via the Southwest RapidRewards Shopping portal. Through that deal, it was possible to double dip to earn 30 points per dollar and a Southwest Companion pass!
- In July 2012, Office Depot, JC Penney, and Lowes offered 10 points per dollar through the Ultimate Rewards Mall.
- In August and September, 2012, Sears brought back 10X via the Ultimate Rewards Mall.
- And, in September 2012 OpenSky offered 150 points per dollar through the MyPoints portal! Even better, new subscribers to MyPoints received double points for their first order (300X)!
Then the months ticked away with no more mega deals. Month after month since September we’ve seen, at best, 6X for this, 5X for that. Fortunately, Kohl’s has been the exception to prove the rule, and has held firm at 10X via the Ultimate Rewards Mall. Aside from Kohl’s, though, online shopping portal promotions have been dull.
That deal is gone, but United has picked up the slack with 9 miles per dollar for United MileagePlus cardholders (good through 8/5/2013):
Are the Sears 9X offers an anomaly or are they a sign of things to come? Maybe I’m just a wishful thinker (and there’s no doubt, I am), but it feels to me as if something is in the wind. Mega deals are coming. I can feel it.
Can you feel it? Are shopping portal mega-deals on their way?