Marriott, Ritz-Calrton, and Starwood are out with new promotions that begin later this month. Registration is now open for all three with links and details below.
- 2,000 points for each stay starting with your 2nd stay of the promotional period
- 2,000 points for each new brand with which you stay during the promotion
- Direct link to the promotion here
- Register by August 30, 2017
- Valid for stays between May 27, 2017 and September 4, 2017
Your first stay will establish your first brand. Assuming every stay thereafter is at a different brand, you would earn 4,000 points per stay. There are 18 worldwide brands according to the promotion page:
While I don’t have any Marriott stays planned during the promotion period, I will still register “just in case”. According to our Reasonable Redemption Values, Marriott Rewards are worth approximately .68 cents each, meaning that this promotion is worth about $27.20 per stay (beginning with the second stay) if you stay at a new brand each time. If you repeat a brand, you will only receive 2,000 bonus points (worth about $13.10). Those returns aren’t bad, though I’m more likely to focus on stacking Hilton promos this quarter.
SPG Take Three
- 3X: Triple Starpoints when staying 2 or more nights and at least 1 night is a weekend night
- 2X: Double Starpoints when staying 2 or more nights on weekdays
- 1500 bonus Starpoints at resorts for SPG credit card holders
- Direct link to the promotion here
- Stays must be two or more nights
- Registration ends August 30, 2017
- Valid for stays between May 20, 2017 and September 4, 2017
- Bonus may be earned an unlimited number of times
Starpoints are both valuable and tough to come by, so this promotion will surely appeal to Starwood loyalists. While the Marriott promotion is best for short stays (maximized in 1-night stays at different brands), this promotion could help you come out ahead if you have longer stays planned at a single property. Typically, Starwood members earn 2 points per dollar spent (Gold and Platinum members receive 1 bonus point in addition). With this promotion, you’ll earn 4 points per dollar with no status during the week or 6 points per dollar if your 2+ night stay includes at least one weekend night (defined as Friday or Saturday night in most of the world or a Thursday or Friday night in the Middle East). Remember that Starpoints transfer to Marriott Rewards 1:3.
Additionally sweetening the pot, SPG credit card holders can earn an additional bonus 1,500 Starpoints on resort stays. I received this message after registering for the above promotion.
Ritz-Carlton Summer Sojourns
- 2X: Earn double Ritz-Carlton Rewards for any stay of 2 nights or longer
- Direct link to the promotion
- Valid for stays of 2 or more nights between May 27, 2017 and September 4, 2017
If you happen to be a Ritz-Carlton Rewards member, you can earn 2X points on every stay of 2 or more nights. That’s 20 points per dollar in addition to any elite bonuses. This is potentially even better than the Starwood promotion as you are earning the equivalent of 6.7 Starpoints per dollar every day of the week assuming no elite status. Of course, this one is limited to Ritz-Carlton properties, so it has a narrow scope.
It always makes sense to register for hotel promotions sooner rather than later. If you have a significant amount of business travel during the promotional time period, these promos will help you rack up a nice bundle of points that are mobile between the various programs.
With bonus points for trying different brands, Marriott is encouraging guests to become familiar with the myriad of brands that non-loyalists may not even associate with Marriott. I think that’s a good strategy as it sounds like Marriott intends to keep the various Starwood brands. Its strength will then become having something for almost everyone — and the Marriott promotion is certainly encouraging guests to figure that out.
If you have any plans for maximizing these promotions, let us know in the comments.
H/T: The Shutterwhale