Over the past couple of days, many blogs have covered the recent bonus for adding authorized users to Amex Hilton Honors and Surpass credit cards. Since I hadn’t received an email, I assumed I hadn’t been targeted. I was wrong. Despite not having been targeted for any of the SPG spending offers over the past year, I finally clicked the link in the post at One Mile at a Time about the Hilton AU bonus today and found that despite not having received an email, I was targeted.
- Earn 10,000 Hilton Honors points for adding an authorized user to your Hilton Honors Surpass and making $1,000 in purchases within 3 months of adding the user. (Note that Amex Hilton Honors users have been receiving a bonus of 5,000 points per user)
- Earn up to 40,000 points through this promotion (4 bonus offers per account)
- Direct link to see if you’re targeted (you will be prompted to log in)
- The promotion appears to be targeted, but I did not receive an email and the link still worked
- Authorized users must be 13 years of age or older and never had a defaulted account with Amex
Hilton points are worth about 0.4 cents per point (under half a cent per point) according to our Reasonable Redemption Values. That makes 10,000 points worth about $40. While that’s not as good as the bonus for adding AUs on some other cards on the market, it is enhanced by the ability to add up to four authorized users and receive the bonus. Since you earn 3X on everyday spend with the Hilton Surpass, you will earn a total of 13,000 Hilton points based on $1,000 spend on the AU card. That’s a return of about $52 in points on $1,000 spend — or a bit better than 5%. That’s certainly not bad. The ability to do it four times is even better. Holders of the no-fee Hilton Honors card only receive half the bonus, but it’s still a haul of easy points. Just make sure you check their math on your award stays.
However, keep in mind that anyone added as an AU will have a new account on their report that will count against their Chase 5/24 status, so I wouldn’t add anyone who is under 5/24.
At any rate, it is worth clicking the link and checking to see if you are targeted if you hold one of these cards as you may be targeted without knowing it.
H/T: One Mile at a Time