|Chase Freedom®||17.5K: 15K after $500 spend in 3 months + 2.5K for adding authorized user|
The no-fee Freedom Unlimited card is a great choice for those who also carry a premium Ultimate Rewards card such as the Sapphire Reserve, Sapphire Preferred, or Ink Business Preferred.
The Freedom card offers 1 point per dollar for most spend, and 5 points per dollar, for up to $1,500 spend, in categories that change each quarter. By itself, its a decent cash back card if you don’t mind chasing after ever changing category bonuses. But, when paired with a premium card, the Freedom makes it possible to earn 5 transferable Ultimate Rewards points per dollar in rotating categories. That means you can earn 5 airline miles or hotel points per dollar, for selected categories of spend. That’s pretty darn good.
The card does charge foreign transaction fees, so leave it at home when traveling internationally. But within the US, the Freedom Card is a great choice for earning 5X rewards in selected categories.
With the Chase Freedom Card, Ultimate Rewards points can be redeemed as follows:
- Cash or merchandise (1 cent per point value)
- Move points to a premium card (Sapphire Preferred, or Ink Business Preferred, for example) and purchase travel through the Chase Ultimate Rewards travel site (1.25 cents per point value)
- Move points to the Chase Sapphire Reserve Card and purchase travel through the Chase Ultimate Rewards travel site (1.5 cents per point value)
- Move points to a premium card and then transfer to a variety of airline and hotel programs (per point value varies from very low to extremely high when points are used this way)
All of the following cards earn Ultimate Rewards points. Those marked with an asterisk are premium cards that allow points to be transferred to select airline and hotel loyalty programs. The others are advertised as cash back cards, but they really earn Ultimate Rewards points. You can move those points to loyalty programs indirectly by moving them first to a premium card and then to an airline or hotel program:
- Chase Sapphire Reserve
- Chase Sapphire Preferred*
- Chase Freedom
- Chase Freedom Unlimited
- Chase Ink Cash
- Chase Ink Business Preferred*
- Chase Ink Plus*
* Premium card. Points can be transferred to select airline and hotel loyalty programs.
- Chase point transfer rules made simple [Infographic]
- Ultimate Rewards 5X Everywhere (almost)
- Membership Rewards vs. Ultimate Rewards vs. ThankYou Rewards. Which is best?
|Card / Notes||Bonus / Annual Fee|
| Chase Freedom®|
Earning rate: 5X in rotating categories
See also: Transferable points programs
|17.5K: 15K after $500 spend in 3 months + 2.5K for adding authorized user
No annual fee
Note: This card is known to be subject to Chase's 5/24 rule.
FM Mini Review: Great for 5X categories. Excellent companion card to Sapphire Reserve!
Note: Many more excellent credit card offers, along with application tips for each bank, can be found on our Best Credit Card Offers Page.