Several cash back and mile-earning portals offer rebates/miles for shopping for American Express gift cards. The best current cash-back offer is via TopCashBack, which is now offering 3% cash back. They are also offering a code to remove card purchase fees (but you’ll still have to pay for shipping): FPVALAF.
In case you’re interested, here are the current rates from some other portals (the best mile-earning option currently is the Arrival card 2X, which translates to 2.22% towards travel):
- BigCrumbs: 2.1%
- Barclays Arrival Rewards Boost:
2X milesnow 4X! (requires Arrival card)
- Alaska Mileage Plan:
1X, now 3X!
- Delta SkyMiles:
1X, now 3X!
- Amex gift cards do not have PINs. They cannot be used to load Bluebird cards.
- Some credit card companies (such as Citibank) charge cash advance fees when purchasing these online. Last I checked, Chase, Amex, and Barclays were safe. I can’t vouch for others.
- Portals often state that using codes not found on their site will invalidate cash back / miles earned. This has not been my experience. I use codes for free gift cards every time.
- Some portals restrict the top card amount to $500. You can easily circumvent this by logging into your Amex account (after clicking through from the portal) and then you’ll see values up to $3000. Yes, you should still get cash back or miles (that has been my experience).
- Cash back can take several months to go from pending to payable.
- Miles often take several weeks or even a month or more to post, but then appear immediately in your mileage account.
- How to Spend Down Amex Gift Cards
- Links to sign up for cash back portals (and other things), can be found here.
Never miss a Quick Deal. Subscribe here.