Best Buy is running a promotion offering a $75 Best Buy gift card for any working laptop (though the terms on this are a bit vague, many users on Slickdeals are reporting successful trade-in of laptops that are 10+ years old). In order to qualify, your laptop must power on / boot up, include the power supply, and can not have a cracked screen or water damage. They are bundling this with a coupon for $75 off of a Samsung Notebook 9 pro (for a total of “$150 off”), but you do not need to buy a laptop to take advantage of the promotion.
- Trade in any working laptop, get a minimum of a $75 Best Buy gift card (+ a coupon for $75 off of a Samsung Notebook 9 Pro)
- Direct link to trade-in value estimator (should show a value for your laptop + the difference to total $75)
- Valid through July 15, 2017
- Excludes devices that are cracked, water-damaged, or lack power
- Terms state that not all devices are eligible (though some users are reporting having traded in devices greater than 10 years old and getting the coupon)
- Limit 1 trade-in per person (in my past experience, Best Buy has taken driver’s license info, but YMMV)
- Must be done in-store only for the $75 minimum promotion (don’t trade in online!)
- You are responsible for removing your data
Best Buy trade-in promotions are always somewhat dependent on the particular cashier/manager you encounter at your store. While the ad clearly says “any”, the terms leave enough wiggle room for a manager to say no. Still, as noted above, people in the Slickdeals thread about this deal have been trading in 2004/2005 laptops with Windows XP and getting the gift card. I intend to try it this weekend with an old Gateway Core 2 Duo that shows a $0 value in the trade-in system above. If your trade-in shows some value via the calculator, it should show something like this:
Note that you do not have to buy a Samsung Notebook 9 in order to receive the $75 Best Buy gift card, but YMMV on getting a cashier who misunderstands the promotion.
If you are indeed able to get $75 for an older working laptop, this promotion could be a good way to clean out the closet. One note – make sure to clean your personal data from the machine before you trade it in.