Some people are reporting having received a targeted email today with an increased 125,000 Hilton Honors points welcome offer on the Amex Hilton Honors Ascend card. That matches the highest point offer we’ve ever seen on this card or its previous iteration.
- Targeted email offer for 100K Hilton points after making $3,000 in purchases in the first 3 months plus an additional 25K Hilton points after spending an additional $1,000 on purchases in the first 6 months
Key card benefits
- $95 annual fee is not waived
- Hilton Gold status; Diamond status after $40K calendar year spend
- Earning rate:
- 12X at hotels and resorts in the Hilton portfolio worldwide
- 6X at U.S. grocery stores, U.S. restaurants, and U.S. gas stations
- 3X on all other eligible purchases
- Weekend Night Rewards:
- $15K calendar year spend = weekend night reward
- You will receive the reward email within 8-12 weeks after you have met each purchase requirement.
- Weekend = Friday, Saturday, or Sunday night
- Weekend Night Rewards cannot be used at Hilton hotels listed here: HiltonHonors.com/weekendreward.
- 10 free Priority Pass™ Lounge passes per calendar year
As this is a targeted offer, it will only apply to those who received the email. Still, it’s good to know that there is a targeted offer out there for a better bonus so you can keep an eye out for it if you have this card on your radar. The automatic Gold status is a nice benefit to have as it guarantees you breakfast at most full-service Hilton properties (Waldorf-Astoria used to be the exception, but those properties now offer something). Furthermore, if you can maximize the value of the free weekend night after $15K spend, that can be a worthwhile spend bonus.
I think this card pairs very well with the Amex Hilton Aspire card. The Aspire gets you automatic Diamond status and an annual free weekend night (including in the first year), as well as an annual $250 Hilton resort credit. With both cards, you’d end up having 2 free weekend nights annually after hitting the $15K spend each year on the Ascend — in addition to the points earned from that spend. If that money were spent in the 6x categories on the Ascend, you’d have an additional 90K points, which is enough for another free night at most properties.
If you received this offer, be sure to check the terms for lifetime language. Amex usually states in the terms that the welcome offer is not available to those who have or have had the product. Sometimes, targeted offers are absent of that language and in that case the one-bonus-per-lifetime limit is not enforced. If the lifetime limit language is present, the bonus may not be available to those who had the Surpass card before. We haven’t yet heard any data points indicating that those who previously had the Surpass have been able to successfully get the singup bonus on the Ascend, but it’s possible that Amex will exclude those who have had the Surpass.
H/T: @Yvarzari on Twitter