Chase has sent out emails to at least some British Airways Visa Signature cardholders with what is likely a targeted promotion to earn an extra 3x on purchases of $1,000 or more, up to 9,000 bonus Avios. A single purchase of $3,000 would max out this promotion. Earning a total of 4x is a pretty sweet deal if you can make any large purchases during the promo window.
- Some users are reporting a targeted email from Chase to earn up to 9,000 bonus Avios with the British Airways Visa Card (it’s possible that there is a similar promo for the Iberia or Aer Lingus cards — if you have received a similar offer with another card, let us know in the comments)
- Offer is to earn a bonus 3x on purchase transactions of $1,000 or more, up to 9,000 bonus Avios between July 15 and September 15, 2018
- Email contains a unique registration link with the subject line, “[Name], Shae, your 9,000 bonus Avios are waiting”
- You may be able to see this link and enter your details to see if you are targeted, though I’m not positive whether that will work (mychasebonus.com is the domain of the link in the email)
- Must click the link in the email and enroll by 09/15/18 11:59 p.m. ET
- A purchase transaction must bill and post to your account in an amount that is equal to or greater than $1,000 (if you purchase multiple items that ship and bill separately, it will not count)
- See your offer for full terms
As noted at the top, earning 4x Avios is a nice deal — even if you only value Avios at 1c each, that’s a very good return for a couple of large purchases. If you value them anything above that, it’s quite strong if you have a large purchase that would otherwise be unbonused spend.
That said, keep in mind that this is only for purchase transactions that are $1,000 or more. If ordering something online, you have to be careful about merchants processing charges separately. Some merchants will charge you separately for each item as it ships. I’d want to be reasonably sure that whatever I was paying for would bill together to make sure you trigger the promotion.
Depending on how you value Avios, this promotion might be worthwhile for paying estimated taxes (See: Pay taxes via credit card, 2018 edition). You would pay a credit card fee of 1.87%. On a $3,000 payment, that amounts to $56.10 and you would earn a total of 12,000 Avios (1x on all purchases + 3x bonus). Obviously, if you have other purchases in mind, you wouldn’t want to pay the credit card fee — but I’d be a buyer at $56.10 for 12K Avios (a lot of us were buyers at $30 for 9K Avios recently, anyway).
Are you a British Airways Visa cardholder? Did you get targeted for this one?