Hilton is offering a sale on points that won’t make sense for buying speculatively, but I’m actually buying some points this time around because I was making a reservation last night where I’ll be able to get great value for them.
- Buy Hilton Honors points with a 100% bonus (0.5cpp) in the following quantities:
- 80,000 total points (40K + 40K) = $400
- 160,000 total points (80K + 80K) = $800
- Direct link to log in and purchase points (our affiliate link) — or go to Points.com through a shopping portal and save a little more. TopCashBack is offering 2.5% cash back here.
- All purchases must be made through the Purchase page on HiltonHonors.com.
- The 100% Points bonus promotion on 3,500 packages of 40,000 points is available for purchases made between September 12, 2018, at 12:01am ET and September 20, 2018, at 11:59pm ET or when all 3,500 packages sell out – whichever is first.
- Members may purchase a maximum of 2 (two) 40,000 Points packages during this promotion outside the 80,000 maximum points purchase limit per calendar year.
- All purchases are non-refundable.
- Points will be posted to the recipients Hilton Honors account within 24 hours of the completed transaction.
- See promotion page for full details
Our Reasonable Redemption Value for Hilton points is 0.45 cents each, meaning that you can reasonably expect to get that much value out of them. Though it is possible to get more value out of them with strategic redemption, it wouldn’t be wise to buy points unless you know what you intend to do with them.
In my case, I was making a reservation last night for two rooms (one for me and one for a family member) in a large city for a big event. My family member was prepared to pay a cash rate, but I instead booked on points. As you can see below, cash rates for standard rooms were $329 or $339 — with tax they came to just under $400 per night — or just 40,000 Hilton points.
In other words, the cash rate would have been nearly $800. Paying $400 for the points instead sounded like a much better deal to them.
If you have a redemption like that in mind, this sale might make sense. Note that the sale is on until September 20th or when 3500 packages sell out, whichever happens first. Hilton points come around for this price often enough that you don’t need to rush and buy unless you have a good use in mind.
H/T: View from the Wing