This morning, we wrote about an amazing sweet spot in the Turkish Miles & Smiles program (See: 7.5K each way to Hawaii. The sweetest spot we’ve been missing.). However, it’s not the only sweet spot in the chart — and Turkish is upping the ante in celebration of their 30th anniversary with monthly sales on select routes good for 30% off on award tickets. We first wrote about one of these sales back in February, but then they slipped under the radar until a reader reminded me about them a couple of days ago. If you’re putting together a larger trip, some of these routes could present a really nice deal. Keep in mind that Turkish is a Citi transfer partner.
- Turkish Miles & Smiles is offering 30% off on award tickets and mileage upgrades on select routes (and 30% extra miles earned on some as well)
- Direct link to July 2019 destinations (book and travel through 7/31)
- Direct link to August 2019 destinations (book 7/31/19-8/31/19, travel 8/1-8/31/19)
- This offer is valid for only Turkish Airlines operated flights. Codeshare flights and flights on Star Alliance’s partners are no valid for this offer.
- July routes valid for booking and travel from July 1, 2019 to July 31, 2019
- August routes valid for booking from 7/1/19 to 8/31/19 and travel from 8/1/19 to 8/31/19
- Available routes change each month
- This offer is valid for all stated routes from or to Istanbul
- Members will earn 30% more bonus miles on selected routes or 30% discount on selected routes.
- Mileage discount can be applicable one way or round-trip tickets on Economy or Business Class cabins and one way or round-trip upgrade transactions.
- Extra mileage earning offer is valid for one way or round-trip tickets on Economy or Business Class flights.
- Extra bonus miles will be added to member accounts on 8/10/19
- All Miles&Smiles award ticket rules are applicable for this campaign
- Taxes and extra charges will be collected.
- See promotion pages for full terms
There are some solid deals available if you’re planning travel this month or next. It’s important to note that these discounts are only valid on Turkish Airlines-operated flights. As a reminder, you can find the full Turkish Miles & Smiles award chart here (scroll down to “Award ticket table” and click the tiny red arrows to the right of those words to expand the chart).
Here are the cities on offer for booking and travel in July 2019:
Sharm El Sheikh
Bangkok or Manila stand out as notable deals. Both are located in the “Far East” according to Turkish’s region definitions, which means that an economy class ticket from Istanbul would ordinarily cost 30K one way or business class would cost 45K each way. With the 30% discount, economy class should cost just 21K each way and business class would cost just 31,500 miles each way. Those are pretty amazing deals given the length of the flights; Bangkok is scheduled at about 9.5 hours each way and Manila is almost 12 hours.
Keep in mind that Turkish does charge fuel surcharges on award tickets and if you search for awards on the Turkish website, you can not see the fuel surcharge totals unless you have enough miles in your account to ticket the award. Alternatively, you could inquire via email. My best guess is that it would likely cost a few hundred bucks — and even still, this would be a pretty terrific deal if you are planning travel to Istanbul this month.
The cities for August travel have also been announced. Here are the cities that are available for booking now but valid for travel in August 2019:
Kathmandu is another route that sticks out at me and is actually available both months. Since Nepal is in Central Asia, the regular price from Istanbul should be 15K each way in economy class or 25K each way in business class. With the discount, that’s just 10,500 miles in economy class or 17,500 miles in business class — for a 7 hour flight. Again, I don’t think it’s possible for fuel surcharges to be high enough to kill the deal, but YMMV.
Again, these sales have been monthly fixtures since February, so keep an eye out on August 1st when I assume the cities for September 2019 travel will be released if you are looking for a fall deal. If you’re looking to earn extra miles on a flight, check out the eligible routes on the promotion pages (those routes are different than the award routes highlighted above). Turkish Miles & Smiles is suddenly making Citi ThankYou points seem awfully valuable.