|Sorry, this deal is no longer available. Do you want to be alerted about new deals as they’re published? Click here to subscribe to Frequent Miler's Instant Posts by email.|
AARP is offering a Black Friday special that is currently live: Get one year of membership for $12, two years for $20, or 5 years for $50. The normal price is $16 per year. Anyone can join AARP — there is no need to be retired or of retirement age and there are some potential benefits for travelers.
- AARP is offering the following discounts on membership this week as part of its Black Friday sale:
- 1 year for $12
- 2 years for $20
- 5 years for $50
- Direct link to this promotion
- Membership will be set to auto-renew at the full annual rate (currently $16) on November 1 of each year you remain enrolled beyond the period you buy.
- Reminder notices will be sent to email address(es) you provide AARP.
- Update your payment method or cancel at any time by calling 1-800-516-1993 or at www.aarp.org/editaccount
AARP membership is open to anyone — you neither need to be retired nor of retirement age to join. It can be worth joining for some of the discounts, the best of which from a travel perspective is the $200 discount on some British Airways itineraries in business and first class. That discount can be stacked with 10% off for being a Chase cardholder (See: Extreme stacking British Airways, AA, and Iberia flights).
There are also some restaurant discounts that will vary in their usefulness according to your preferences. Here are some restaurants where you can score 10% off
- Bonefish Grill
- Bubba Gump Shrimp Co
- Chart House
- Corner Bakery Cafe
- Joe’s Crab Shack
- Landry’s Seafood
- Landry’s Restaurants
- McCormick & Schmicks
- The Oceanaire Seafood Room
- Outback Steakhouse
- Rainforest Cafe
- Saltgrass Steak House
I joined a couple of years ago. To be honest, I always forget about the restaurant discounts. I don’t eat at any of the above often, but seeing this was a good reminder that I ought to check now and then as I’m sure that some of those restaurants are also on apps like Dosh and/or in airline dining programs (I should heed my own advice).
At $10 per year whether you join for 2 years or 5 years, the membership could be worthwhile, especially so if you’re ever able to take advantage of the British Airways discount (though note that we obviously don’t know that will stick around for 5 years).