Alaska Mileage Plan is offering a status fast track for employees of Amazon and Amazon-owned companies. The timing on this is poor since many companies are banning employee travel at the moment, but if you work for Amazon or a qualifying company and you have travel plans on Alaska, it might be worth taking them up on the fast track.
- Alaska Airlines is offering a status fast track for employees of Amazon and companies that are wholly owned by Amazon when you register (using your work email address) and complete qualifying flight activity
- Direct link to thid promotion
- Complimentary upgrades are not available when booking a Saver fare, in X class of service.
- Only Mileage Plan members who work at Amazon as indicated by an e-mail address from Amazon.com or email address belonging to a wholly owned company of Amazon are eligible for this offer.
- Eligible members who register for this promotion will be upgraded to MVP status within 10 days and will retain that status through June 30, 2020.
- Registered members must complete 2 round-trips (4 qualifying flight segments) between date of registration and June 30, 2020 in order to extend their MVP status, 4 roundtrips (8 qualifying flight segments) to earn MVP Gold, or 10 round-trips (20 qualifying flight segments) to earn MVP Gold 75K valid through December 31, 2020.
- To qualify, flights must be marketed and operated by Alaska Airlines or Horizon Airlines and must be credited to the member’s Mileage Plan account. Qualifying flights must take place between the date registered for this promotion and June 30, 2020.
- Codeshare flights, flights on Alaska Global Partners, free or award travel, or on Saver Fares, which are flights booked in X class of service, are not qualifying flight segments under this promotion.
- Members who earn MVP Gold 75K status as part of this special offer are not eligible for the 50,000 bonus miles associated with qualifying for MVP Gold 75K status.
- All terms and conditions of the Mileage Plan program apply. Offer subject to change without notice.
- Registration ends March 15, 2020.
If you take the fast track and meet the terms, you’ll have Alaska status through December 31, 2020. With Alaska set to join Oneworld next year, I’d be somewhat hesitant to take a status fast track this year unless you’re already going to be flying Alaska a bunch and can use the benefits. With COVID-19 concerns clearly curtailing travel, both domestically and internationally, I wouldn’t be surprised to see fast track and status match programs expand more if current trends continue.
That said, this surely could be an opportunity for someone in the right situation.
For those interested, you’ll need to sign up by March 15, 2020. You’ll then have temporary status benefits within 10 days of registration and you must complete the following requirements by June 30, 2020 in order to keep status through December 31, 2020.
- Fly 2 round-trips on Alaska to keep MVP® status
- Fly 4 round-trips on Alaska to earn MVP® Gold status
- Fly 10 round-trips on Alaska to earn MVP® Gold 75K status
Those requirements set a pretty low bar for each level of status and bonuses earned on paid travel can be pretty good with each level of status. Of course, it’s hard to predict travel a couple of months out at the moment. One member of our Frequent Miler Insiders noted today that his company has instituted a mandatory self-quarantine of 14 days for employees coming back from countries with a risk of Level 2 or higher (meaning they would have to work from home for 14 days before being allowed to return to the office). It seems far-fetched that we would see similar restrictions placed on domestic travel, but on the other hand it’s early to say.
On the other hand, those based on the West Coast may find these challenges pretty easy/cheap to complete, so it could be attractive for those betting on increased travel throughout the rest of the year.
H/T: Loyalty Lobby