|Sorry, this deal is no longer available. Do you want to be alerted about new deals as they’re published? Click here to subscribe to Frequent Miler's Instant Posts by email.|
Delta is offering an amazing promotion on Vacation Packages, giving you 2 cents per mile in value when booking vacation packages through
Friday, August 30 September 6, 2019. That’s a great deal for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that you can often get a better deal on a vacation package than you can when booking the flight alone. You’ll also earn miles on these bookings as though they were paid tickets. If you can find a deal that works, this could be an epic SkyMiles redemption and may even be good enough to justify transferring Membership Rewards points.
- Delta is offering double the usual value for SkyMiles (i.e. get 2 cents per SkyMile) when using SkyMiles to pay for Delta Vacation Packages
- Direct link to this promotion
- Must book by Friday, September 6, 2019 at 11:59pm ET
- Minimum 2-night hotel stay required.
- Offer is redeemable up to 999,999 miles on flight and hotel packages to any Delta Vacations destination.
- If you cancel your reservation, miles will not be redeposited into your SkyMiles account. The SkyMiles account holder will receive a Delta Vacations voucher for the value of the miles at the time of they were applied to the booking as payment.
- See full terms here
First of all, if you’ll be transferring from Membership Rewards to Delta, remember that Amex charges a fee when transferring to US-based mileage programs.
That said, you wouldn’t be crazy for considering a transfer to Delta SkyMiles here. As Greg noted in this morning’s post on the Best ways to get to Hawaii from the US mainland, airline vacation packages can sometimes be cheaper than booking the flight alone — meaning that throwing away the hotel or car rental portion of the package might still save you money over booking the flight alone. Note that this deal requires a hotel booking for a minimum of 2 nights.
As an example, Greg took a look at Detroit to London from May 10-14, 2020. The best nonstop price per person for those dates is $2639 per person.
If you’re willing to make a few stops, the cheapest flights available right now are $1644 per person.
However, booking through Delta vacations, you can get that same trip for two people with hotel for $1,555.58 total. That’s $778 each. Or it’s bookable with 77,779 SkyMiles total.
You might be able to do even better by calling in and saying that you only need 2 nights of hotel. A phone agent should be able to help you book the hotel for just part of your trip, reducing the cost even further.
Furthermore, these flights will earn redeemable miles and MQMs for those chasing after Delta status. Unfortunately, these special deals are for non-published fares. That means that you can’t upgrade with miles or with global upgrade certs.
Deals abound to the various parts of the world where Delta flies and in different cabin classes, so it’s worth taking a look if you have Delta miles to burn.