Avis and Amazon have announced an interesting partnership today, offering 10-20% back on Avis rentals at participating locations in the US in the form of an Amazon Gift Card when you link your Amazon and Avis accounts. You’ll earn 10% back if you book through Avis and 20% back if you book through Alexa.
- Get 10-20% back on Avis rentals in the form of an Amazon Gift Card when you link your account and rent with Avis
- Direct link to link your accounts
- The savings of up to 30% applies to Avis base rates and is applicable only to the time and mileage charges of the rental. Offer does not apply to car group X. All taxes, fees (including but not limited Air Conditioning Excise Recovery Fee, Concession Recovery Fee, Vehicle License Recovery Fee, Energy Recovery Fee, Tire Management Fee, and Frequent Traveler Fee) and surcharges (including but not limited to Customer Facility Charge and Environmental Fee Recovery Charge) are extra. This offer is based on the currency of the location of check-out and subject to applicable exchange rates. Optional products such as LDW ($29.99/day or less) and refueling are extra. Your Amazon Benefits must be used to take advantage of this offer. Offer is available for U.S. only for rentals at Avis participating locations in the U.S. Offer may not be used in conjunction with any other AWD number or promotion. Coupon offers can be used with your Amazon Benefit. Weekly rates require a minimum five day rental period. Weekend rate available Thursday noon; car must be returned by Monday 11:59 p.m., or higher rate will apply. A Saturday night keep and an advance reservation may be required. Offer is subject to vehicle availability at the time of rental and may not be available on some rates at some times, including some online rates at Avis.com. Car rental return restrictions may apply. Offer subject to change without notice. Holiday and other blackout periods may apply. Renter must meet Avis age, driver and credit requirements. Minimum age may vary by location. An additional daily surcharge may apply for renters under 25 years old.
- 10% back as an Amazon.com Gift Card applies to time and mileage charges of completed rentals using your Amazon Benefits on avis.com, excluding Alexa Skill rentals.
- 20% back as an Amazon Gift Card applies to time and mileage charges of completed rentals using your Amazon Benefits with Alexa Skill.
- Amazon.com Gift Card will be issued within 48 hours to the email associated with your Amazon.com profile.
- Customers are required to authenticate on Avis.com by logging in with the Amazon credentials to receive Amazon.com Gift Card.
This looks like an awesome little promo if you often rent through Avis. It does state that it can not be combined with other promotions are AWD number, but it’s not totally clear whether that applies to the “up to 30% off” discount or the gift card rebate. It notes that coupon codes can be used with this benefit.
Conveniently, it looks like this will just get automatically issued within 48 hours of your completed rental, so you shouldn’t have to do anything additional to get the rebate once your accounts are linked. Of course, you’ll only receive the rebate on the cost of time and mileage — not on taxes or fees, which make up a substantial part of most rentals.
Note that this offer is valid in the US only and at Avis participating locations within the US. That limitation is a bummer, but if you often rent with Avis this seems like a great return that is nearly as good as cash.
Overall, this looks like an easy win. I attempted to link my accounts but apparently forgot my Avis password (pro tip: after 3 attempts, they lock you out and won’t let you get back in until you receive an email with instructions. Choose to reset your password before making a third attempt).
If anyone links these up, please share your real-world experiences with getting the gift cards.
H/T: Dan’s Deals