|Sorry, this deal is no longer available. Do you want to be alerted about new deals as they’re published? Click here to subscribe to Frequent Miler's Instant Posts by email.|
It’s still only mid-July, but the back-to-school offers are starting. To coincide with that, the American Airlines shopping portal is offering a couple of bonuses based on how much you spend through the portal.
- Tier 1 – Spend $150, earn 500 bonus miles.
- Tier 2 – Spend $350, earn 1,500 bonus miles.
- Direct link.
- Expires July 26, 2018 at 11:59:59 pm ET.
- Member will earn a one-time bonus of up to 1,500 AAdvantage miles on qualifying purchases, in addition to the standard AAdvantage miles earned from shopping online through the AAdvantage eShoppingSM mall.
- This one-time bonus award will be determined based on Member’s cumulative qualifying purchases made during the Bonus Period using one of the following tiers: Tier 1 bonus: 500 miles for qualifying purchases of at least $150; or Tier 2 bonus: 1,500 miles for qualifying purchases of at least $350 or more.
- “Qualifying purchases” do not include returns, cancellations, shipping and handling, taxes, gift card or other cash equivalent purchases, and certain products that are not eligible for bonus miles.
- Please allow up to 10 weeks after the Bonus Period for bonus miles to post to your AAdvantage eShoppingSM account.
- The Tier 2 bonus provides the maximum number of miles that will be awarded.
Tier 1’s offer of 500 bonus miles works out to be 3.33 miles per dollar if spending exactly $150. If you spend $350, the tier 2 bonus will earn you 4.29 bonus miles per dollar.
Those are fairly good bonuses, but as always you should use Cashback Monitor to compare rates against other shopping portals. That said, for retailers like Best Buy, Apple and Newegg that rarely go above 1%/1x, this portal bonus is a good opportunity to earn in excess of 5 miles per dollar.
Don’t forget that the American Airlines shopping portal also has some hotel partners. Nick wrote the other day about how you could earn 10x AAdvantage miles with IHG bookings. 10x isn’t available anymore, but you can still book IHG properties for 3 miles per dollar. If you made a reservation costing $350 before tax, you’d effectively earn 7.29 miles per dollar. That’s in addition to all the IHG Rewards Club points you’d earn seeing as you’d be booking direct.
The rate for Saks has been temporarily increased to 15x. If you were planning on buying a $50 item online to take advantage of the new Amex Platinum benefit, you’d be 1/3 of the way towards the first tier bonus. Macy’s, Groupon, Sephora and more are all 10x on the portal, so those are some other great earning rates in addition to the portal bonus.