|Sorry, this deal is no longer available. Do you want to be alerted about new deals as they’re published? Click here to subscribe to Frequent Miler's Instant Posts by email.|
I expect that many readers are interested in the
Amex SPG lmited time 35K offers for both personal and business cards. I know that I am. Unfortunately, the offer terms state “Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product.” Amex apparently keeps track of whether or not you’ve had the card in the past 7 years. If you have had the card, you’re not eligible for the new bonus, even if you never got a signup bonus for the card before. Of course if you’ve had only the personal SPG card before, you can still get the business SPG card, and vice versa.
I was pretty sure that I had both the personal and business card within the past 7 years, but my credit card tracking spreadsheet only showed the personal card. Was it possible that I never had the business card? That would be great! But I also knew that I wasn’t always good about keeping my credit card application spreadsheet up to date. It was likely that I had the card before but forgot to record it.
To find out for sure, I logged into my Amex account and initiated a chat…
I asked if I had ever had the SPG business card before…
Rats! I have had the card before and so I’m not eligible for the bonus for the same business. But, I’ve had luck in the past with other Amex cards when I’ve signed up under a second business, so I’ll try that.
UPDATE: If you’re also interested in applying under a second business (with a different EIN), I highly recommend waiting to see the results of my experiment. I’m going to rush things forward to try to get results way ahead of this offer’s 4/5 expiration date.
UPDATE 2: My experiment did NOT work. I applied for the SPG business card under a second business with a different EIN (business tax ID), and I spent $5,000 on the card. When my statement closed, I had earned just the 5,000 points from spend, but did not earn signup bonus points. The business card currently offers 25,000 points after $5K spend, then 10K additional points with $2K additional spend, so I would have earned 25,000 points if this experiment had been successful.
No more than 5 credit cards
Another rule to watch out for is that Amex will allow each person to have no more than 5 credit cards. This count includes both personal and business credit cards. It’s OK to have more charge cards, but only up to 5 credit cards.
Amex credit cards (which count towards your 5 card max) include:
- SPG cards
- Delta cards
- Hilton cards
- All “Blue” cards (Blue Cash, Blue Sky, Blue for Business, etc.)
- EveryDay cards
- Plenti card
- The Mercedes-Benz credit card (but not the Mercedes-Benz Platinum charge card)
- Lowes Business
And, again, charge cards do not count towards your total. So, if you have any of these, they do not count towards your 5 credit card limit:
- Platinum cards, including the Business Platinum card
- Premier Rewards Gold
- Business Gold Rewards
- Business Green Rewards
- Green card
- Gold card
- The Plum Card
Employee cards and authorized user cards also do not count towards your total.
I currently have 4 Amex credit cards: 3 Delta cards (but I plan to cancel one of them), and the Old Blue Cash card.
My next steps:
- I’ll cancel the Delta card that I no longer want (because why not)
- I’ll sign up for the SPG business card under a second business (I legitimately have several separate businesses)
- I’ll meet minimum spend without buying gift cards. See: How to avoid Amex Clawbacks.
- I’ll wait and hope that the 2nd business approach works*
* UPDATE: If you’re also interested in applying under a second business (with a different EIN), I highly recommend waiting to see the results of my experiment. I’m going to rush things forward to try to get results way ahead of this offer’s 4/5 expiration date.