Chase has sent out some targeted emails to cardholders of the IHG Rewards Club Premier card and Freedom Unlimited (and possibly others?) offering 5x/5% when using the card to pay select monthly bills. It’s obviously better if you get this offer on a Freedom Unlimited card, but the IHG version of the offer might be worth considering too.
- Earn a total of 5X bonus points on up to $2,000 in purchases when you pay select bills with a card where you’ve activated this offer. The following types of bills are eligible:
- Phone service
- Cable & internet service
- To be eligible for this offer, you must log on to the website referenced in this offer and enroll by 3/31/20, 11:59 p.m. EST. You’ll earn 5 bonus points total for each $1 spent, on up to $2,000 in total spend on combined purchases in the reward categories listed below during the promotional period (4 additional points on top of the 1 point earned on each purchase). After $2,000 on combined purchases in the reward categories listed below, you go back to earning 1 point for every dollar spent, with no maximum.
- For a purchase to qualify for this offer, the merchant must submit charges to your credit card by the last day of the promotional period 3/31/20.
- All of your eligible purchases during the promotional period will be automatically counted, as long as you have enrolled by 3/31/20.
- Please allow up to 8 weeks after qualifying purchases post to your account for bonus points to post to your account.
I received this offer on my IHG Rewards Club Premier card and Doctor of Credit is reporting that some Freedom Unlimited cardholders are also targeted. As a result, the Freedom Unlimited card is a better one to get this offer on as you’ll earn Ultimate Rewards points which can be transferred to travel partners if paired with a premium card like the Chase Sapphire Reserve, Ink Business Preferred, etc.
Several other credit cards offer bonus points / cashback for utilities and phone, cable and internet service, so 5x IHG Rewards Club points in those categories isn’t very exciting. Our car insurance bill is coming up in the next month or two, so I’ll probably pay for it with my IHG card unless there’s a new insurance Amex Offer like this one that expired at the end of last year.
If you were targeted for this offer, it’s worth taking a second to click the activation link in the email even if you have no intention of using it, just in case your circumstances change.