Barclays is sending out targeted spending offers to Choice Privileges Visa cardholders, offering 4,000 bonus points when spending $1,000 every month from March to May. Check your emails even if you don’t have a Choice card as Barclays might be issuing similar offers to other cardholders. (Update: there are indeed other offers – see below)
- This March, April and May, when you use your Choice Privileges Visa Card for $1,000 in purchases each month, you’ll earn 4,000 bonus points.
- This March, April and May, when you use your Wyndham Rewards Visa Card for $300 in purchases each month, you’ll earn 3,000 bonus points.
- This March, April and May, when you use your Wyndham Rewards Visa Card for $1,000 in purchases each month, you’ll earn 4,000 bonus points.
- This March, April and May, when you use your American Airlines Aviator Red Card for $1,000 in purchases each month, you’ll earn 4,000 bonus miles.
- This offer is valid for select cardmembers and is not transferable. If your account is closed or you switch to another product during the promotional period, you may no longer be eligible for this promotion.
- If you receive this offer and spend $1,000 or more in purchases, less credits, returns and adjustments (“Net Purchases”) each month of the Promotional Period, March, April and May with transactions dates within each month, you will receive a bonus 4,000 points.
- Failure to maintain your creditworthiness during the offer period may result in actions on your account, such as a credit line decrease, that would reduce your ability to take advantage of this offer.
- To receive the bonus points, your account must be open, active and in good standing at the time of fulfillment.
- All bonus points earned will appear on your statement 6-8 weeks after the end of the promotion.
My wife received this offer on her Choice Privileges Visa card and my initial impression was that it wasn’t really worth taking advantage of. Earning 4,000 bonus points when spending a total of $3,000 (assuming you spend exactly $1,000 per month) means you’d be earning 1.33 bonus points per dollar. That would mean a total of 2.33 points per dollar when taking into account the card’s standard earning rate.
Except I was wrong. What I’d initially forgotten is that the Choice card earns 2 points per dollar on non-bonused spend rather than 1, meaning this bonus would take the earning rate up to 3.33x. That makes the deal more enticing, especially if you can spend $1,000 per month with very little effort.
As mentioned earlier, check your emails even if you’re not a Choice cardholder but have other credit cards issued by Barclays as they might send out similar spending others on other co-branded cards. Please let us know in the comments below if you get a different kind of offer on either the Choice card or on another Barclays-issued card.
Update: As per comments by toomanybooks and David below, some Wyndham cardholders are receiving similar offers, but with different spending requirements and/or bonuses.