Citi is out with some nice new checking account offers whereby you can score as many as 60,000 ThankYou points with a new checking account. Keep in mind that I believe these bonus ThankYou points can not be transferred to partners. Still, 60K could buy you around $750 worth of travel depending on which Citi ThankYou cards you hold, so these bonuses are worth considering.
- Citi is sending targeted mailers for ThankYou point bonuses when opening the following types of checking accounts:
- Get 60K ThankYou points when you open a new Citigold account and make $1K in debit card purchases and 1 or more bill payments for 2 consecutive months.
- Get 50K ThankYou points when you open a new Citi Priority account and and make $750 in debit card purchases and 1 or more bill payments for 2 consecutive months.
- Get 30K ThankYou points when you open a new Citibank account and make $375 in debit card purchases and 1 or more bill payments for 2 consecutive months.
- Get 5K ThankYou points when you open a new Basic Banking account and make $125 in debit card purchases and 1 or more bill payments for 2 consecutive months.
- Targeted offer with a unique promo code (not sure if you can use someone else’s code)
- Must open account by 12/31/2018
- Must not currently have or have had an account a Citibank consumer checking account within last 180 calendar days.
As noted at the top, I believe that you can not transfer points earned from the checking account bonuses to partners (if someone has done a bonus recently and has a data point, please let us know in the comments). Still, these points can be useful towards rental cars, hotels (when elite benefits don’t matter), etc.
Furthermore, the Citigold account requires a $200,000 average monthly balance. I don’t think 60K ThankYou points is worth moving that kind of money, but if you already have the cash at Citi then 60K might be appealing. Otherwise, the Citi Priority account is probably the sweet spot. Its $30 monthly fee can be waived with a $50K average monthly balance — or just pay the $30 per month for a few months and you should come out with 50K ThankYou points for a very reasonable cost. You have to make the required transactions for 2 consecutive months, so it’ll probably take 3-4 months to get the bonus points. Based on my past experience, Citi will waive the fee for the first month or two, so you’ll probably spend $60 or $90 to get the points if you’re not intending to keep the $50K balance. Even at $120, that’s a good trade.
Furthermore, a Citi Priority or Citigold account may get you a reduced annual fee on the Citi Prestige card. I opened one of these accounts years ago and have maintained a $350 annual fee on the Prestige card ever since — which is part of what makes it worthwhile for me to keep the card every year.
There are some other current bank account bonuses that might be even more attractive, but this is a pretty good option if you receive a mailer. Always check out those mailers for targeted offers like these.
H/T: Miles to Memories