Citibank is offering 50,000 AAdvantage miles or 40,000 ThankYou points to select customers who open up a Citigold checking account and meet certain requirements.
50K AAdvantage Points Offer
Earn 50K AAdvantage miles after opening a Citigold checking account, making $1,000 in debit card purchases and making one or more bill payments in two consecutive months. Expires March 31, 2016 (Note: You must hold a Citi AAdvantage earning credit card to be eligible.)
40K ThankYou Points Offer
Earn 40K ThankYou points after opening a Citigold checking account and making one or more bill payments in two consecutive months. Expires March 31, 2016. (Note: You must hold a Citi ThankYou earning credit card to be eligible.)
Opening the Account
There are two ways to open up the account. You can open it online by clicking here or you can call 1-800-374-9500 and open over the phone. By opening over the phone you should be able to confirm your eligibility for the bonus. Either way, here are the codes you will need for the respective offers:
- 50K AAdvantage code: WD3QFS2Y4C
- 40K ThankYou code: 4368UUP5L4
Opening a Citigold account isn’t always straightforward. For more information on opening an account online, see: Citigold Checking Application Process – Step By Step Walkthrough
Other Need to Knows
- The Citigold account does carry a $30 monthly fee that is waived the first 2 months. After the miles post you may be able to downgrade to a Basic Banking account where the fee is waived with a simple direct deposit and bill pay. You should also be able to close the account if you wish.
- Citi does let you fund your checking account with a Visa or Mastercard up to $100K. To do so, you must either mail or fax in an authorization form. Doctor of Credit has collected a number of data points regarding which credit cards work without being charged a cash advance fee.
- Citi issues 1099s on accounts with a bonus exceeding $600. It is unclear how they value AAdvantage miles for this purpose. Recent 30K deals haven’t seemed to trigger a 1099, however 50K miles could.
- If you are a holder of the Citi Prestige card, opening a Citigold account should also lower your annual fee by $100 to $350.
Last updated on December 20th, 2018