In response to my posts detailing the Marriott Bonvoy credit cards, several readers asked if it would be possible to downgrade from the Bonvoy Brilliant Amex (originally SPG Lux) to the Bonvoy Amex (originally SPG). There are two key reasons this question is important:
- The SPG card (soon to be Bonvoy Amex) will no longer be available to new applicants after February 12, 2019, so the downgrade path may be the only way to get this card in the future.
- The Bonvoy Brilliant ($450 per year) is much more expensive than the Bonvoy Amex ($95 per year). Many have said that they would like to downgrade after one year with the SPG Lux / Bonvoy Brilliant so that they don’t have to pay another big annual fee.
As stated in the title of this post, the answer is Yes: It will be possible to product change from Bonvoy Brilliant to Bonvoy Amex even after February 12th when the latter is no longer available to new applicants.
Specifically, this information comes from Heather Norton, Director of Public Affairs and Communications at Amex consumer division. She emailed me the following: “Yes, Card Members can continue transfer from the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant American Express Card to the Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card even after the latter is no longer available to new applicants.”
- Bonvoy Opportunities
- Marriott Bonvoy credit card changes announced
- Which Marriott Bonvoy card is best?
- Marriott Bonvoy Complete Guide