Update 7/25/20: In case you’ve been booking Airbnb stays via the Avios partnership, the rewards have been reduced from 3x Avios per dollar to 2x Avios per dollar. You used to earn 500 bonus Avios if you made your first Airbnb reservation through this partnership, but that’s been changed to 6x for your first reservation.
Airbnb has partnered with British Airways Avios. You can now earn 3 Avios per dollar/pound/euro spent with AirBnB worldwide. In my opinion, that’s much better than 1 Delta SkyMile per dollar spent and probably better for most than 1 Qantas mile per Australian Dollar spent. If I were booking Airbnb stays, I’d definitely consider going through the British Airways portal.
- Now get
32 British Airways Avios per dollar spent on Airbnb bookings when you book through the British Airways Portal
- If you’re new to Airbnb, you’ll also
get a bonus 500 Aviosearn 6x Avios on your first booking
- New Airbnb hosts can get a bonus 8,000 Avios for listing their property through the British Airways link and hosting their first stay, but don’t do that. You can currently get an offer for 30,000 Avios for this, and you should if you’re even marginally interested in becoming a host as that’s a great offer)
- Direct link to this promotion
- You must book through BA’s link
- During the booking process, the customer must provide their British Airways Executive Club Membership Number. If an incorrect membership number is entered, the Avios may not be awarded.
- The collection rate of Avios for Airbnb bookings is 3 Avios per £1 / $1 / €1 spend. The Avios award will be based on USD value.
- New Airbnb customers making their first booking will be entitled to a bonus of 500 Avios.
- See promo page for full terms
This is a pretty nice rate of return for Airbnb stays, particularly if you can stack it with already-discounted Airbnb gift cards you’ve bought in other various deals (or perhaps at 5x at an office supply store). British Airways just had a change to the award chart a couple of months ago, but as noted in that post it wasn’t really that bad. Short haul flights within the US didn’t devalue at all.
Thus I’d personally be pretty happy with a rate of return like 3x Avios provided it is per US dollar spent. I was a little confused by this in the terms:
The collection rate of Avios for Airbnb bookings is 3 Avios per £1 / $1 / €1 spend. The Avios award will be based on USD value.
That sounds at least slightly contradictory since one Pound, one US dollar, and one Euro are not equal. I initially wondered if bookings in Europe would earn at different rates or if it would be based on the currency of the country where your account is based. It goes on to say that Avios will be based on USD value, so my best bet is that it’ll be 3 Avios per US dollar spent, likely based on your account being registered from the US (but note that I could be wrong as we don’t yet have data points).
Note also this from the terms:
The rates for bookings via Airbnb may differ from regular bookings with the same conditions on airbnb.com.
Sounds like you’d better shop around and make sure you’re getting the same rate you’d get if you didn’t book via the British Airways portal.
I’m personally not the biggest fan of Airbnb, but I know that many readers love it. If you do, you should definitely take a look at this and take advantage assuming that rates are the same.
H/T: One Mile at a Time