|Sorry, this deal is no longer available. Do you want to be alerted about new deals as they’re published? Click here to subscribe to Frequent Miler's Instant Posts by email.|
BP and United teamed up a few months ago to offer bonus United miles when filling your gas tank rather than earning fuel discounts through BP Driver Rewards. For a limited time, you can earn up to 500 bonus miles when joining the scheme, linking a card and purchasing fuel.
- Earn up to 500 bonus miles when signing up for BP Driver Rewards
- Earn 200 bonus miles when:
- Joining BP Driver Rewards
- Selecting United MileagePlus miles as your reward type
- Adding a linked form of payment
- Earn 300 additional bonus miles when:
- Making a fuel transaction by August 23, 2018
- Earn 200 bonus miles when:
- Link to join BP Driver Rewards
- To earn the 200 mile bonus, you must make a fuel transaction at a participating BP station that earns MileagePlus awards miles. Limit one bonus per account, per person for a maximum bonus of 200 miles.
- Limit one 300 mile bonus per account. Members who have already earned 200 bonus award miles in connection with the standard bonus offer are not eligible for this additional bonus offer. Excludes BP Credit Card or BP Visa Credit Card.
I wasn’t too familiar with BP Driver Rewards as I used to fill up at Kroger thanks to their regular 4x fuel points offers. For the past few months, we’ve moved over to filling up at Shell thanks to the discounts you receive for being a member of IHG Rewards Club, the frequent 25c per gallon discounts from T-Mobile Tuesdays and stocking up on Shell gift cards at a 20% discount from the Lowe’s Amex Offer.
We’re on a 50 state road trip and there’s been a few times in recent months where there have been no Shell gas stations within 100 miles, so a couple of times we’ve ended up having to fill up at BP. I’d not registered for BP Driver Rewards yet, but will be signing up thanks to this promotion.
The bonus comes in two parts – 200 miles and 300 miles – but it’s straightforward to earn both amounts. Simply register, select MileagePlus, link a card and purchase fuel by August 23, 2018. You’ll earn 2 miles per gallon on up to 20 gallons in addition to the bonus miles.
Earning United miles appears to be a better option than selecting to get fuel discounts with BP Driver Rewards. With that option, you get a 10c per gallon discount on one fill up of up to 20 gallons once you’ve spent $100. That means the maximum discount you’ll get is $2 once you’ve spent more than $100, given that the discount’s applied after you’ve spent the $100. I prefer Shell Fuel Rewards as you get discounts on every single gallon that you ever purchase.
The Chase Freedom card might be a good option for a linked card seeing as gas stations are one of this quarter’s 5% categories.
If you have any American Express business cards with the Staples or Lowe’s Amex Offer, you could also pick up BP gift cards at a 10% discount from those stores. You’ll still need to have a credit card linked to your BP Driver Rewards account in order to earn the 500 bonus miles, but it doesn’t have to be the actual payment method.
Last updated on August 25th, 2018