American Express is sending out emails to Hilton Honors credit card holders (on various versions of the card) to earn an extra 10x on purchases at Amazon.com on up to $500 in purchases by 1/29/19. That’s not a bad offer if you’re looking to load up on some Hilton points. Note that this may be targeted, but we have received it on the no-fee, Ascend, and Aspire cards.
- Earn an extra 10x at Amazon (in addition to the 3x you normally earn) for a total of 13x on up to $500 in purchases through 1/29/19 after registering [Targeted, but widely available]
- Direct link to log in and see if you are targeted / enroll
- You must enroll your Hilton Honors American Express Card to earn 10 additional Hilton Honors Bonus Points per dollar of purchases made at Amazon.com from the time you complete enrollment through 1/29/2019.
- You will earn 10 additional Hilton Honors Bonus Points per dollar of purchases using your enrolled Card at Amazon.com on the first $500 in purchases (for a total of up to 5,000 additional Hilton Honors Bonus Points).
- Eligible purchases include digital downloads, Amazon Prime subscriptions, and items sold by third party merchants through the Amazon Marketplace.
- Eligible purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, purchases of gift cards, person-to-person payments, purchases of any cash equivalents, or purchases made at non-US versions of Amazon.com or websites affiliated with/linked to/from Amazon.com or retail locations owned by Amazon.
- Additional Hilton Honors Bonus Points will be credited to your Hilton Honors account within 2-4 weeks after the end of the offer.
- Purchases may fall outside of the offer period (and therefore not be eligible for additional Hilton Honors Bonus Points) in some cases, such as a delay in merchants submitting transactions to us or if the purchase date differs from the date you made the transaction. (For example, if you buy goods online, the purchase date may be the date the goods are shipped.)
According to our Reasonable Redemption Values, Hilton Honors points are worth around 0.45c each, making the return on 13x worth the equivalent of around 5.85%. That’s not a bad return for Amazon purchases, especially when coupled with Amex purchase protection / extended warranty benefits (which you give up when buying an Amazon gift card at an office supply store for example).
Note that the terms clearly exclude gift cards and prepaid cards, though it’s possible those things may still work. YMMV.
Also keep in mind the posting date of your purchases — you may not be charged until your item ships, so if you order something on backorder or not shipping immediately, keep in mind the end date of the promo (1/29). At this time of year, I imagine it will be easy for most folks to hit $500 on Amazon purchases, so this is a decent promo if looking to build up some Hilton points — though you won’t earn enough for a free night anywhere in the US.
Note that I was not able to register multiple cards, but both my wife and I received the offer. Since Hilton allows you to pool points with up to 10 people, we can each earn the bonus and combine points later. That would give you a total of 13,000 points, which is enough for a free night in some places — see this post from Stephen Pepper for options in the US: Here’s A List Of All The 10,000 Point Hilton Properties In The US.
Since we just used up a bunch of Hilton points in my household, we’ll probably look to replenish a bit with this one.