|Sorry, this deal is no longer available. Do you want to be alerted about new deals as they’re published? Click here to subscribe to Frequent Miler's Instant Posts by email.|
I received an interesting email today from Southwest Airlines with what I assume is a targeted offer for double points and fast-tracked A-List status. If you’re looking for A-List status, keep an eye on your email — this offer is pretty good!
- 2X points on flights you book and complete between June 19th, 2017 and September 30, 2017
You can also earn A-List status through 2017 or 2018 based on first registering and then booking and completing the following number of flights between June 19th, 2017 and September 30, 2017:
- 3 round trips (or 6 one-ways) = A-List through December 31, 2017
- 5 round trips (or 10 one-ways) = A-List through December 31, 2018
- You must both book and complete your flights between June 19th, 2017 and September 30, 2017. As I read the terms, prior bookings do not count
- Double points do not count towards Companion Pass status according to the terms
- Southwest Vacation packages do not count
- Flights booked with points do not count
While there are some restrictions regarding the travel that qualifies, this seems like a great promotion for A-List status. That status normally requires 25 one-way flights or 35,000 tier-qualifying points in a year. A-List status comes with the following benefits:
- Priority Boarding (Terms state that Southwest automatically assigns your boarding position 36 hours before the fight similar to Early-bird check in…alternatively, you can board after A-group no matter which position is on your boarding pass)
- 25% point bonus
- Priority check-in and security (see the list of airport information on this page to see if your airport has “Fly-by” security)
- Priority Phone Line
- Free same-day standby
Priority Boarding is a nice benefit as you normally need to pay $15 for early-bird check-in (and even then we’ve gotten boarding passes in the B-group at times). Free same-day standby could be nice to get on an earlier flight — and then, since your boarding position would be so far back due to the same-day change, you might be able to board after A-group on the new flight.
Note that I noticed this promotion in my email, but also found it under the “promotions” tab in “My Account” on Southwest.com.
Personally, I have one booking already arranged on Southwest and one booking yet to make that I could put on Southwest during the promotional period. As you need to first register before booking or flying, I would need to register and then re-book the flight I already have. I’ll check prices and see. That would put me one flight away from A-list status for 2017. I’m not sure how useful that would be for me as I don’t have a lot of domestic travel planned the rest of this year, but if I can sneak in a couple of extra round trips, I might go for A-list through 2018. While A-List isn’t the most rewarding elite status around, it would save me at least $15 per flight next year…and boarding after A-group could come in handy sometimes. If you fly Southwest, check your email for the subject line “Exclusive offer: Earn double points AND go for A-List through 2018“.
Did you get the email? Are you going for it? Let us know in the comments.