|Sorry, this deal is no longer available. Do you want to be alerted about new deals as they’re published? Click here to subscribe to Frequent Miler's Instant Posts by email.|
Update 1/2/20: This deal is back again for all American Express cardholders. It is well worth doing this now and potentially matching to Hertz President’s Circle (though I personally prefer renting through National). Note two awesome things about this deal: First, while the landing page suggests that status would be active until February of 2021, some people are reporting that their National accounts are showing Executive Elite status valid through February 28, 2022. That’s awesome and it worked for a family member:
Second, the terms indicate that after completing your first rental paid for with an Amex card, you’ll get 5 free rental credits. As an Executive Elite member, that’s enough for a free day. What I love about those free days is that they are valid until December 31st of the year after you earn them and are valid on most car classes (more classes than the one two free promo). I just recently used one to save a bundle on a one-way minivan rental to haul Christmas presents home from visiting relatives. If you have an Amex card and rent cars, I’d definitely recommend this deal. Unfortunately, I can’t get this promo to work on an account that already has Executive Elite status. When I try, it tells me that the account is already enrolled in this promo (since we previously did it in January 2019 and that status is valid until February 2021). Oddly, we had one account in the family that I don’t think previously had the Executive Elite status and it did let me enroll, but gave a Feb 2021 expiration date. I’m not sure why that happened to me while most people are reporting the 2022 expiration. YMMV.
Update 1/19: A reader reports registering now (in January 2019) and receiving Executive Elite status through February 2021 (H/T: Happy). I think that is likely accurate. My wife just did this. She previously had National Executive status courtesy of her Business Platinum card.
She then did this match and her status immediately updated to Executive Elite. While it no longer shows the expiration date, it says that the membership is valid for the remainder of the year in which you qualify plus 14 months, so I expect this to be valid through the end of February 2021. Read more detail in the original post below this screen shot.
National is offering free Executive Elite status to American Express card members. That’s the level above the Executive status that comes as a benefit of the Platinum Card (and Business Platinum card), so this is a pretty awesome upgrade. Furthermore, if you rent one time and pay with your Amex, you’ll earn 5 rental credits — enough for 1 free day. With Executive Elite status, that’s a great deal, too.
- Get National Executive Elite status, either enrolling as a new member or upgrading your existing membership
- Direct link to enroll / upgrade (click the button that says “Executive Elite Enrollment” and you’ll have the option to sign up or sign in)
- Offer valid for new members only enrolled via this promotion between
- Get five Emerald Club Credits you can use toward a future rental day after you enroll in the Emerald Club at nationalcar.com/offer/amexee between 12/16/19-2/29/20, rent one time from National and pay with any American Express Card.
- Rental day offer is valid at participating National Car Rental locations in the U.S., Canada, Australia, Latin America, Caribbean, and in Europe, for National Car Rental brand reservations serviced by Enterprise. The five Emerald Club Credits you can use for a rental day are applicable toward the base rate but do not include taxes, government charges, surcharges, concession recoupment fees, fuel and other optional items, which are the responsibility of the renter.
- Emerald Club points will be credited 24-72 hours after a paid rental.
- For Executive Elite members, the rental can be used for any available car class, excluding trucks.
- The rental day expires 12/31 of the calendar year following the year in which the credits were earned.
- Executive Elite status is valid through 2/28/21 (though some have reported status valid through February 2022). (To maintain Executive Elite status, member must meet the standard qualifications of 25 or more rentals or 85 or more rental days during the full calendar year 2019).
- See promotion page for full terms
This is a quick, easy, and awesome upgrade. I love National Executive status since it enables you to rent a mid-size vehicle and then choose from the Executive Aisle when you arrive. I’ve even had locations ask me what I’d like and find it on the lot for me when it isn’t in the Executive Aisle. When traveling with family, this has come in handy more than once — I’ve been able to rent a mid-size and reliably get an SUV on arrival.
Executive Elite status gives you access to an even better aisle in some locations, and on free days you can reserve any available car class, excluding trucks. That’s great since the promo also offers enough credits for 1 free rental day after you book a rental and pay for it with an American Express. Remember that you’ll be sacrificing Primary CDW coverage that you could get when paying with other cards (or you’ll need to opt in to CDW coverage through Amex that you’ll need to pay for). That said, the free rental day, especially if you were to use it for a more expensive car class, could certainly be worth it.
Greg just went ahead and did this upgrade. He had National Executive status courtesy of a Platinum card:
But with this promo, he was able to upgrade that status to Executive Elite.
Even if you’re not sure you’d use it, this is worth signing up for since it is valid for all of 2019 and up to the end of February 2020. You never know when it may come in handy. Furthermore, you can likely leverage it into elite status with other companies thanks to a status match. See StatusMatcher.com for options. Dan’s Deals notes that you can match to Hertz by emailing a picture of your National status to firstname.lastname@example.org.
H/T: Dan’s Deals