Background: The Frequent Miler blog has been nominated for a 2014 Frequent Business Traveler GlobeRunner Award: Best Points and Miles Blog. He received this nominee logo:
Frequent Miler is hoping to win this contest so he is gearing up his campaign to convince readers everywhere to vote for him. Given our inside access to Frequent Miler’s campaign, we have been lucky enough to get our hands on Frequent Miler’s secret campaign strategy documents…
Frequent Miler’s Top Secret 2014 Best Blog Campaign Strategy (TOP SECRET)
- Increase media exposure
- Discredit opposition
- Win more votes
Increase Media Exposure
- Leak campaign documents (complete)
- Create viral video showing Frequent Miler earning 2 billion points in five minutes (to-do)
- Safely stop runaway school bus (needs fleshing out)
- Delta Points: Remind voters how few Delta miles they’ll earn next year and how worthless “SkyPesos” are. Talking points: refer to blog as “Delta Pesos”, “Delta Pointless”, etc.
- Frugal Travel Guy: Blog name doesn’t fit blog authorship. Actually authored by a number of people, including women, not just one guy. Talking points: sexist (for referring to female authors as “Guy”) and deceitful (not just one guy!).
- Hack My Trip: Primary author holds Phd. Encourage voters to see author as “liberal northwest elite”. Holds elite status with United (there’s that elite word again!). Blame author for United mileage devaluation.
- Loyalty Lobby: Associate blog name with “Lobbyist”. Lead voters to see him as a corrupt DC insider. Spread rumor that he lives in DC.
- Million Mile Secrets: Blog title suggests inability to keep secrets (dangerous if elected to Best Blog position!). Also known for trip reports divided into thousands of separate posts. e.g. Trip to France, Part 1: Packing Toiletries. Talking points: Dangers of electing MMS include spilled secrets, and acceptance speech that runs on for weeks with circles and arrows.
- The Points Guy: Major threat due to candidate’s height. Tall candidates often have an edge in elections. Need to counter by focusing on the negatives. Talking points: “head in the clouds”, “looks down on us little people”, etc.
- The Wandering Aramean: Very strange blog name. Talking points: don’t say blog name (too likely to mispronounce). Refer to “that foreign sounding blog”, “that overhead-bin stow-away”, etc.
- Travel Blogger Buzz: Need to be careful here so as not to endanger position on his “Blog’s I Love” list. Leave it to Frugal Travel Guy to go negative here.
- View from the Wing: Full time job, owner or partner in numerous businesses. writes 40 to 50 blog posts per day. Alien? Cyborg? Talking points: still researching (need to check that Cyborg angle)
Win more votes
- Create viral Tweet. Something like this:
@FrequentMiler has been nominated for Best Points and Miles Blog GlobeRunner Award. Please vote: http://accura.cc/okp6xz. Please retweet!
- Overpromise. e.g. “vote for me and you’ll earn 10 billion points and miles every month!”
- Write quality blog posts to earn award fairly (too much work?)
- 10X Voting: Find way for supporters to go through online portal to voting site so that each vote counts 10X. Leverage Chase Freedom 5X quarterly category bonus, if possible. Research gift card angles.
Campaign Strategy Disclosure
The text above is in jest and is intended to be humorous. No animals were harmed in the creation of this document.