A new gas station Amex Offer appeared yesterday offering 500 Membership Rewards points when spending $35. Based on the terms of the offer, it doesn’t look like that purchase has to be on fuel, making the offer a little more flexible.
- Make a single purchase of $35+ at US gas stations and earn 500 Membership Rewards.
- Limit 3 (i.e. up to 1,500 Membership Rewards points).
- Expires December 31, 2018.
- Limit 1 enrolled Card per Card Member across all American Express offer channels.
- Offer valid for purchases at gas station locations in the U.S. An “eligible purchase” means a purchase made with your enrolled Card at U.S. gas station locations by 12/31/2018.
- Offer excludes online purchases and marina fuel or any type of commercial fuel (e.g.- jet fuel) purchases.
- For purposes of this offer, “gas station” means a merchant that is in the primary business of selling gasoline to consumers. Gas stations may sell other convenience items, but its primary business must be selling gasoline to consumers.
- The following are NOT considered gas stations: superstores, supermarkets, and warehouse clubs that sell gasoline.
- Not valid for corporate card transactions.
The subheading of this Amex Offer is ‘Fuel it up for points!’, but the terms don’t specifically state that the $35 has to be spent at the pump. It should therefore be possible to spend $35 inside the gas station in order to trigger the offer. Most – if not all – gas stations sell gift cards, or you could buy several packs of overpriced gummi bears (my wife’s preferred method for spending $35 at gas stations). That’s helpful to those of us with an engine small enough that it’s impossible to spend $35 when filling up unless we’re in California, Chicago, etc.
Doctor of Credit has mentioned that there’s a $5 statement credit version of this offer. However, my wife and I only had the Membership Rewards version of the offer. If you have both the $5 statement credit and 500 Membership Rewards versions, you’ll be able to load one of each and so earn rewards on up to six transactions.
Seeing as this offer can only be added to one card, it’s nice that there’s a limit of three transactions so that you can take advantage of the offer more than once. If possible, load it to a card that earns a higher rate at gas stations (e.g. Hilton Ascend for 6x, SPG Business for 4x, Premier Rewards Gold for 2x, etc).
If you’re lucky enough to have gotten this offer on a business card where you have the Exxon Mobil Amex Offer loaded already, it should be possible to save ~27% when filling up at their gas stations by stacking multiple deals. If you were to spend exactly $35, here’s what you’d get back:
- 500 Membership Rewards (or $5) from this Amex Offer.
- $3.50 from the Exxon Mobil Amex Offer.
- $1.05 from Dosh or Spent.
You could save even more by using Exxon Mobil’s Speedpass+ app as that saves you 5c per gallon. Just make sure the card with this gas station Amex Offer loaded to it is linked to Speedpass+ and Dosh or Spent in order to get all these savings.