The US Bank FlexPerks Travel Rewards card has brought back its popular promotion for an increased signup bonus tied to Team USA’s performance in the Winter Olympics. This offer is currently only available in-branch, but will likely be offered online as well in the coming days.
- 25,000 FlexPerks points after spending $2,000 on purchases in the first 4 months
- Additional bonus points for each medal won in the 2018 Winter Olympics by Team USA as follows:
- Gold Medals: 500 points
- Silver Medals: 250 points
- Bronze Medals: 125 points
Key Card Details
- $49 annual fee is waived the first year
- Earn 2X in one of the following categories (whichever one you spent the most in each month): cell phone providers, gas stations, grocery stores, or airline purchases
- Earn 2X on charities
- 3,500 bonus points with $24K spend per cardmember year
- $25 airline fee credit on award tickets (when you redeem FlexPerks points) good towards baggage fees, in-flight snacks, etc.
The current best offer available online for this card is only 20,000 points after $2K spend (in 4 months). This new signup bonus sweetens the pot by 5,000 points plus the bonus for Team USA’s medal count. A Gracenote Virtual Medal Table predicts the US to win 10 Gold, 7 Silver, and 12 Bronze medals. If that turns out to be correct, it would add an additional 7,950 points to the bonus, bringing the total signup bonus to almost 33K. Remember that FlexPerks are now worth a flat 1.5 cents each — meaning that each Gold medal is worth about $7.50 to you. Will we get more medals with fewer Russians competing? I don’t know — but as someone who loves the summer Olympics yet rarely watches much of the Winter Games, I think this bonus seems like fun way to get excited about sports I might not otherwise watch.
As noted, this offer is only available in-branch at the moment — if a link pops up online, we will post an update.
H/T: Doctor of Credit
Last updated on February 2nd, 2018