|Sorry, this deal is no longer available. Do you want to be alerted about new deals as they’re published? Click here to subscribe to Frequent Miler's Instant Posts by email.|
Avianca has launched an award sale that can save you 7-31% on select Star Alliance routes worldwide. Discounted awards are available in economy, business and first class, with the average discount ranging from 10-15%.
In addition to that, Avianca is currently selling LifeMiles with a bonus of up to 145% which could be a good way to boost your account balance to book some of these awards if that represents good value for you.
The Deals & Key Terms
- Save 7-31% on LifeMiles awards on select routes worldwide.
- Direct link to offer.
- LifeMiles award sale mileage chart.
- Redeem miles from September 10, 2019 to October 18, 2019.
- The redemption of miles for air tickets is valid only through LifeMiles.com and the Avianca Call Center.
- Call Center and LifeMiles.com only accept international credit cards as a form of payment.
- Applicable taxes are not included and must be paid when making the redemption.
- A service fee per ticket is charged for redemptions made on Avianca Call Centers LifeMiles.com and must be paid at the time of the redemption. Redemption fee from $ 25 up to $ 80 + taxes, depending on the route redeemed, plus a late redemption fee of $ 40 + taxes also applies, if the ticket redemption is made 14 or less days prior to departure.
- Seats are limited, and may not be available on all flights and/or dates.
- Subject to availability of Class X, Class O and Class I.
- Only valid for flights on STAR ALLIANCE airlines.
- The mileage showed on the table is for one way trips.
- Date changes are permitted with the respective service charge.
- In case of cancellation, mileage, and the amount paid in cash or credit card are refundable subject to the terms and conditions of the LifeMiles Program and by paying the respective fee.
- You can purchase LifeMiles to reach the total mileage required for each route of this promotion.
- No miles are accrued with the redemption of air tickets.
- Tickets redeemed cannot be transferred to others.
- Buy LifeMiles with a bonus of up to 145%.
- Direct link to offer.
- Buy miles from September 10, 2019 to October 2, 2019.
The highest discount of 31% is on the Bangkok to Seoul route in business class only. The regular cost is 36,000 miles, so with this award sale it only costs 25,000 miles.
If you’re originating in the US, there are discounts from New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Seattle, San Francisco, Houston and Washington D.C. You can find a list of the routes using the link to the mileage chart above; destinations include Hong Kong, Seoul, Shanghai and, most commonly, Taipei.
The latter is good news as it means you’d get to take advantage of this award sale on EVA Air. We flew with them in business class from Bangkok to Taipei and Taipei to JFK a couple of years ago and had an incredible experience. It made our flights in United’s brand new (at the time) Polaris product seem like basic economy by comparison.
Note that different routes offer discounts in different classes, with some routes only offering discounts in one class. For example, discounted awards from JFK to Beijing are only available in first class (90,000 miles reduced to 81,000 for a 10% discount), while Chicago to Taipei is only available in business class (75,000 miles reduced to 64,000 for a 15% discount).
LifeMiles is a transfer partner of Amex Membership Rewards, Citi ThankYou, Capital One and Marriott Bonvoy, so you have plenty of transferable currency options.
Avianca is simultaneously offering the opportunity to buy LifeMiles with a bonus of up to 145%, a sale that comes around every so often. The bonus percentage depends on how many miles you buy and also seems to be targeted to some extent. That means it currently costs as low as 1.35cpp to buy LifeMiles which could represent good value when combined with the award sale.
Using the Chicago to Taipei business class award mentioned above as an example, buying enough LifeMiles would cost you $1,056 (buying 31,000 LifeMiles before the bonus would only result in 63,550 LifeMiles with the bonus, just short of the 64,000 needed).
While $1,056 is a decent chunk of change, it’s not as much as you’d pay if trying to buy a one-way business class ticket on that same route.
This award sale will be around for more than a month, so in theory you have plenty of time to take advantage of it. However, it’ll likely mean that award space will get booked up more quickly than normal, so you might want to book sooner rather than later.