Registration is open for Marriott’s promotion covering the latter part of Q1 and start of Q2 2019. It’s called Double Take and offers double points on all stays but doesn’t start until your second stay. In a newly introduced benefit, credit card holders can also earn 500 bonus points when staying at the weekend.
- Earn double points on stays at Marriott properties starting with your second stay.
- Marriott Bonvoy U.S. Card Members earn an exclusive bonus of 500 additional points for weekend stays starting with the first stay.
- Direct link to registration.
- Registration required by May 21, 2019.
- Valid for stays from March 19, 2019 to June 4, 2019.
- The double points earning is only applicable to members’ base points earned per stay.
- Only one room per hotel is counted toward a member’s nights or stay.
- A “weekend stay” is defined as a stay that includes a Friday or Saturday night regardless of where the hotel is located.
This promotion has been open for registration for the past week, but I just realized we hadn’t covered it yet. A double points promo isn’t particularly enticing or imaginative, especially seeing as you only start earning bonus points from your second stay.
The second stay requirement is something that Hyatt sadly introduced on their latest promotion, although Hyatt’s setup is far better for a couple of reasons. First, bonus points from that promo can be earned even on award stays, whereas Marriott’s is only earned on paid stays seeing as double points of 0 is 0. Secondly, due to award stays counting with Hyatt, you can book a category 1 stay for 5,000 points as your first stay, ensuring that any longer stays after that don’t miss out on all the bonus points. With Marriott’s Double Take promotion, you’d need to book a paid stay before you’ll start earning any bonus points.
It seems like Marriott might have realized how underwhelming the double points promotion is. That’s because at some point in the last week they’ve added an incentive for credit card holders that offers 500 bonus points when your stay includes at least one Friday or Saturday night – that’s on top of the double points you’ll earn. That potentially makes one night stays at the weekend more worthwhile, but I won’t be going out of my way to book any Marriott stays during this promotion. It’s unlikely to incentivize road warriors to move stays to Marriott though because their stays probably aren’t going to include a Friday or Saturday night.
In keeping with the Bonvoy teething problems (does 7 months still count as “teething”?), when my wife and I registered for this promotion last week we both received the following error message:
Despite claiming that we weren’t registered, our accounts both listed the Double Take promotion in the active Promotions section on our accounts, so I think we were successfully registered. They’ve hopefully removed the erroneous error message since then, but if not then check your own ‘Promotions’ tab to make sure it shows that you are indeed registered.