Welcome to the official scoreboard for the 2014 manufactured spend tournament known as #milemadness. For an overview of the tournament, please see:
- The Manufactured Spending Tournament.
- The next mad challenge
- Manufactured Spend Tournament FAQ Post and Thread
- #milemadness Manufactured Spending Tournament meet the Players
- Let the #milemadness Commence!
And now, on to the scores….
Last Updated 3/10/2014:
1) Miles Abound: $1,383.90
2) Bengali Miles Guru: $1,276.74
3) The Miles Professor: $1,158.92
1) Big Habitat: 2 points
All others earned 1 point or less
1) Bengali Miles Guru: 2 points
Tie for 2nd:
2) The Miles Professor: 1 point
2) Quick City Visits: 1 point
2) Giddy for Points: 1 point
Earnings are calculated as:
Cash back earned – Fees + [combined value of all points and credits earned]
Value of points is calculated as:
- Fair Trade Value, or if no Fair Trade Value exists:
- Arrival points: 1.1 cents each; Avianca miles: 1.5 cents each
- Merchant gift cards / credit valued at best resale price shown on GiftCardGranny.com
- Fuel Points: assume 15 gallon fill up and subtract 10%
(Points earned or subtracted due to judgment of originality and ethics)
- Big Habitat earned point by finding extremely low price for tablets for resale by price matching to not just one, but four different stores
- Both Big Habitat and Bengali Miles Guru earned a point by discovering that OfficeMax did not limit rebates to 2 per transaction as was implied by their ad.
- Miles Abound earned point through a complicated gift card “churn” that earned rewards very specific to his own needs (see also lost point under efficiency)
- Freequent Flyer Book earned point by showing mastery of very large number of techniques (even though those techniques did not result in as much profit as some others)
- Giddy for points earned point by triple dip purchase of Hyatt gift cards: MilePoint Premium 10% off, 3% cash back via SimplyCash card, and 5% cash back via OPEN Savings
- Miles, Points, and Mai Tais earned point through double dip: cash back from buying Amex gift cards + fuel points earned when using Amex gift card to buy Visa/MC gift cards
- Milenomics earned point by earning both grocery fuel points and fuel rewards at the same time when buying gift cards.
- Milenomics earned point by finding way to buy and liquidate certain cards fee-free.
- Milenomics lost point by returning items for cash
(Points earned or subtracted due to scalability, efficiency, and replicability)
- The Miles Professor earned point by using multiple 5X ThankYou cards in her name (some were as authorized user). This allows her to increase 5X spend with less risk than with just one card.
- Both Miles Abound and Bengali Miles Guru earned a point by splitting purchases in order to maximize Plink rewards.
- Bengali Miles Guru earned point by maximizing ShopKick earnings at Office Depot.
- Miles Abound lost point by earning rewards useful primarily to his own situation.
- Quick City Visits earned point by buying gift cards for 5X and then using those gift card to buy merchandise for resale. This is a highly replicable and scalable approach to earning extra points.
- Giddy for points earned point by triple dip purchase of Hyatt gift cards: MilePoint Premium 10% off, 3% cash back via SimplyCash card, and 5% cash back via OPEN Savings [this technique was awarded a point both for artistry and efficiency]