576,000 points earned. 424,000 left to go.
Background: Million Mile Madness is the fun and foolish quest to earn a million points in one month. Throughout March, I’m doing everything I can to earn as many points as I can while keeping within my ethical boundaries. I don’t expect that a million points will have been credited to my account by March 31st: points often take quite a while to get credited. Instead, I’ll track all of the points that I expect, and I’ll declare victory if the expected total is over a million. To keep things challenging, I will try to keep my net costs below $1,000.
All points earned and expenses incurred are tracked via this Google Docs spreadsheet.
See all Million Mile Madness posts (in reverse order), by clicking here.
This weekend, beginning Friday morning, BoardingArea is planning to move to new servers. Friday and Saturday, this blog will be readable, but comments will be disabled and I won’t be able to publish new posts. The blog should be back to full working order by Sunday. In the meantime, if anything exciting comes up I’ll let you know via Twitter and Facebook (so make sure to follow and/or “like” me!)
Quick credit card update
So far, all of my new American Express and Chase cards have arrived (including my Freedom card which was a downgrade from my Sapphire Preferred), but I’m still waiting for Citibank, US Bank, and Barclaycard.
My time is spent…
What have I gotten myself into?!! I’m going through each day with nothing on my mind except how to earn points, lots of points. Aside from worrying about it, here are some specific things that I’ve been doing:
- I “liked” Club Carlson and Virgin Elevate on Facebook: 1500 points.
- I bought almost $1200 worth of Free after Rebate stuff from Staples: Almost 6000 points.
- I bought $4000 worth of Home Improvement cards at Office Depot: 20,000 points.
- I used those Home Improvement cards to buy $1800 worth of Sears and Lowes gift cards via the Ultimate Rewards Mall: Over 8500 points.
- I bought $500 worth of Kohl’s gift cards via the Ultimate Rewards Mall: Over 5000 points.
- I found a fantastic deal and bought over $2000 worth of stuff from Staples, which I then sent to Fulfillment by Amazon to sell. From this deal I hope to earn cash (to fund other point earning activities this month) and over 11,000 points.
- I’ve spent some time browsing online looking for resalable items from Sears, Kohl’s, Lowes, and elsewhere. I’ve found a number of good options so now I need to pull the trigger as soon as some of those gift cards arrive. And, I plan to buy more and more gift cards!
I’ve done all of the above point earning activities and more, but it’s not enough! I need to earn points more quickly to get to a million this month! Do you have ideas? Suggestions? Comment below!
Last updated on November 13th, 2015