Time is running out to book a Marriott Travel Package under the current rewards structure. We don’t know yet whether travel packages will be better or worse in the new program, but we do know that there’s a slight chance that redeeming points for a travel package before August will result in a big win (please click through this link for details).
To redeem points for a travel package resulting in a 7 night certificate and 120,000 miles (or 132,000 miles if you choose United miles), you’ll need at least 270,000 Marriott points.
And you’ll need lot’s of patience.
Marriott Travel Packages can’t be booked online. And most Marriott phone agents don’t know how to book them. The trick is to get Marriott Rewards on the phone, not Marriott Customer Service, and definitely not Marriott Reservations.
Unfortunately, the Marriott Rewards phone numbers now route to a central phone menu with voice prompts that will have you shouting in anger within minutes. Here’s the key to navigate the phone prompts with minimal stress…
- Call Marriott at 1-800-321-7396 (or any other Marriott phone number you have)
- Wait for the recording to tell you that you can learn all about the new program online.
- In response to: “How can I help you today?”
Say: “Transfer rewards points.”
- Then the computer will ask you more specifics about the transfer.
Interrupt the computer and say “Something else.”
- Wait on hold for a long, long time.
If an agent answers with something like “Marriott Rewards, can I have your rewards number?” then you’ve made it to the right place!
UPDATE: Also see this post for details about foreign call centers that may answer much more quickly.
- Potential huge win with Marriott Travel Packages before August
- Which airlines are best for Marriott Travel Packages?
- Why are Marriott Travel Packages a good deal?
- 12 things you need to know about Marriott Travel Packages
And more info about the Marriott SPG Merger: