There is a new app out called Spent that gives you the opportunity to earn an extrra 1% cash back at places like Amazon, Whole Foods, Lowe’s, Walgreen’s, Uber, and more. The app is available for both Apple and Android. While the extra cash back at popular retailers will make this one very attractive, some will be put off by security concerns as this app requires your bank login information.
- New Spent (direct link to site) app offers $10 cash back for signing up and a number of benefits including an extra 1% back at the following list of retailers with card-linked offers:
- Whole Foods
- Panera Bread
- Rewards are capped at $100 cash back monthly on card-linked earnings (i.e. up to $10,000 in purchases)
- Runs on the same network as some other popular apps/programs such as Swagbucks, Yelp, and Dosh (among others)
- Must have a minimum of $20 in order to be able to cash out
- Cashouts are done via PayPal
In addition to the extra 1% back at the retailers above, Spent offers a shopping portal and travel booking portal as well as the ability to keep track of business expenses. The extra 1% back is certainly an attractive benefit at a list of retailers that you may frequent. As with some (though not all) similar apps, you are required to enter not only your credit card number, but also your bank login information in order to activate card-linked offers. Some will no doubt be uncomfortable with sharing such sensitive information with a lesser-known entity, and that is understandable. See our guide for How to survive the Equifax hack for tips on locking down your digital kingdom. Ultimately, it’s an individual choice to assess the risk and choose whether or not to participate in offers like this.
Doctor of Credit has a more complete review of the app; if you’re interested in more information I recommend reading his analysis.
H/T: Doctor of Credit