|Sorry, this deal is no longer available. Do you want to be alerted about new deals as they’re published? Click here to subscribe to Frequent Miler's Instant Posts by email.|
The new Marriott Rewards Premier Plus credit card is now available for applications with a 100,000 point bonus.
- 100,000 Marriott Rewards points after spending $5,000 on purchases in the first three months from account opening
- Find a direct link on our Best Offers page or a link and more info on our Marriott Rewards Premier Plus page
Key Card Details
- Earn 6x at Marriott and SPG properties
- Earn 2x on all other purchases
- $95 annual fee isn’t waived the first year
- Anniversary free night award valid for a one night hotel stay at a property with a redemption level up to 35,000 points
- Automatic Silver status
- Earn Gold status when spending $35,000 each account year
- 15 Elite night credits (from 2019)
- The product is not available to either:
- Current cardmembers of the Marriott Rewards Premier or Marriott Rewards Premier Plus credit card
- Previous cardmembers of the Marriott Rewards Premier or Marriott Rewards Premier Plus credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 24 months
This new Marriott Rewards Premier Plus credit card is due to replace the existing Marriott Rewards Premier credit card, although that card’s still available for applications (for now).
The older version of the card has a lower signup bonus (75,000 points vs 100,000 points). Having said that, it also has a slightly lower annual fee which is waived the first year ($0 then $85 vs $95).
The older version might also be better if you’re chasing status with Marriott Rewards this year. The Premier card offers 15 elite nights and 1 additional credit for each $3,000 you spend on the card. For this year only, those 15 nights also stack with the 15 nights from the Chase Marriott Rewards Business credit card, as well as the 5 elite nights from both the SPG consumer and business credit cards. See Greg’s post for more on how this works: Marriott Platinum Premier 75. Should I go for it?. The new Premier Plus card does offer a route to Gold status by spending $35,000 on the card though.
Seeing as the old Marriott Rewards Premier credit card was subject to the Chase 5/24 rule, it’s likely that this new Premier Plus credit card is as well. If you already hold the old card, Chase is offering an upgrade – we’ll have more about that later.
|Chase's 5/24 Rule: With most Chase credit cards, Chase will not approve your application if you have opened 5 or more cards with any bank in the past 24 months.
To determine your 5/24 status, see: 3 Easy Ways to Count Your 5/24 Status. An even easier option is to track all of your cards for free with Travel Freely.
The Frequent Miler Reasonable Redemption Value for Marriott Rewards points is 0.72cpp (cents per point). Using that valuation, this signup bonus is worth $720 although it’s definitely possible to get more value than that. One option is to transfer those points to SPG which you can then transfer to airline partners. In increments of 20,000, you’ll also get a bonus 5,000 miles when transferring to airline partners.
You can also get significantly more value than that on Marriott stays, especially when using the 5th night free benefit on award stays. We recently got 2.31cpp of value at the Residence Inn Huntsville which is more than 3x the Reasonable Redemption Value.
Last updated on September 2nd, 2018