A couple of weeks ago Nick wrote about United’s Mile Play promotion. If you weren’t targeted for an offer back then, be sure to check again now as United seems to have targeted a new set of MileagePlus members for an offer.
- Earn bonus miles when completing tasks with United’s Mile Play promotion.
- Direct link to registration.
- Activities must be completed by October 31, 2019.
- Only transactions initiated after registration and completed on or prior to October 31, 2019 will qualify toward satisfaction of offer requirements. Registrant will receive bonus award miles after completing each action and then receive an additional bonus if they complete all actions within the offer period.
- This offer is not combinable with other non-combinable offers.
- Miles earned through this promotion do not count toward Premier status or Million Miler status and do not apply to class-of-service bonus miles, Premier bonus miles or promotional Premier qualifying miles.
- Qualifying activity must be posted to the applicable member’s United MileagePlus account in order to qualify for this offer.
- Bonus miles will post to your MileagePlus account six to eight weeks after the promotion ends on October 31, 2019.
When Nick wrote about the latest Mile Play promotion a couple of weeks ago, I checked both my account and my wife’s but neither of us were targeted. We both received an email today though providing details of our targeted tasks and sure enough we were both able to register.
In case you’re not familiar with Mile Play, it works in a similar way to IHG’s Accelerate promotions. United sets you a series of tasks and you earn bonus miles for each one you complete. If you complete them all, you’ll earn additional bonus miles. For example, here’s my (not very generous) offer:
There can be a big variety in the types of tasks members are challenged with. Here’s my wife’s set of tasks which are much more interesting. It’s doubtful she’ll need to fly anywhere in the next couple of months, but so long as I don’t procrastinate then we’ll definitely buy a gift card using MPX to get 500 bonus miles on top of the miles we’d earn normally through the app.
One important difference between United’s Mile Play and IHG’s Accelerate promotions is that stays you’ve already booked with IHG count towards your Accelerate tasks provided they occur within the promotion period. Mile Play is different though as flights only count if they’re both booked and flown after you’ve registered and are within the promotion period. That can be frustrating if you already have a qualifying flight booked, but it makes sense seeing as these tasks are intended to drive new booking behavior, not reward you for what you’ve already booked.
Something else it’s important to be aware of is that tasks specifically related to booking a flight tend to have a minimum spend requirement. My Economy Plus flight task doesn’t have that requirement, but my wife’s ‘Book and take a trip’ task requires a minimum fare of $200 to qualify. Not only that, but the $200 relates to the base fare and so taxes and fees aren’t included as part of that.