Note: As of 10/13/15 the Target REDcard (REDbird) can only be loaded with cash in-store at Target. Gift cards and/or debit cards no longer work to load REDcard. For more info, see: Here is the REDbird memo, “Cash is the only tender guests can use”
Many people on both Flyertalk and Reddit have reported that debit loads to REDbird are not working as of this morning. There have been some mentions of a recent software update, however that hasn’t been confirmed.
Here is what we know:
- People have reported loads we working fine as of yesterday.
- There are dozens of reports from across the country that debit card loads are not working as of this morning.
- I have seen at least two reports of normal bank issued debit cards failing in addition to gift cards.
- Cash loads seem to be working.
Here is what we don’t know:
- We don’t know if this is a policy change or a glitch. The fact that bank issued debit cards are not working provides some hope it is just a system glitch.
- One Flyertalk member says a Amex phone rep said loads are now cash only. This has not been confirmed elsewhere and may just a case of an uninformed phone rep.
- There have been reports of a recent software update, however I haven’t seen widespread confirmation of this.
I will update this post as we learn more, but I wouldn’t recommend jumping to any conclusions. For now, it is simply too early to tell what this means.
Last updated on December 20th, 2018