ScoreBig Scares Big

18

In April and May 2016 we published an Extreme Stacking series on event ticket reseller ScoreBig which documented the opportunity for quadruple dips.

ScoreBig has recently experienced a liquidity crisis which caused them to briefly cease operations and suspend ticket sales.  Although they did reopen for business, I received an email on September 30th which warned that “there may be an issue regarding the continued validity of the tickets you purchased” and provided contact information for the supplier of my tickets.

The tickets referred to in this email are an eye-poppingly expensive set of three tickets to Hamilton on Broadway for a December, 2016 show that I purchased from ScoreBig in April, 2016.

Am I out the money I spent on these tickets?

My first step was to call Chase since I’d purchased the tickets with my Chase Sapphire Preferred.  The Chase CSR was very reassuring, indicating that my purchase would be covered if the tickets end up not being valid.  He was well aware of the issue with ScoreBig and even attempted to resolve the issue and give me a refund during our call.

He was unable to give the refund now, though, because we don’t know for sure if the tickets are valid.

So at least I won’t be out the money if the tickets are no good.

Are My Tickets Valid?

ScoreBig’s email advised that only the seller of the tickets could confirm the validity of the tickets and included the name and contact information of the seller.  My first two phone calls to them were not answered.  Finally, a week after receiving ScoreBig’s scary email, I reached the supplier by phone.

The CSR assured me that the tickets would be valid and would be delivered to me no later than 48 hours before the show.

I politely explained the bind that not receiving the tickets until 48 hours before the show puts me in.  I’m flying my very excited family to NYC in December three days before the show.  If the tickets aren’t valid and I find out two days before the show and already in NYC, that will be one disappointing and stressful holiday.

The CSR said “Look, I know, I get it.  If it makes you feel any better, we aren’t getting paid for these.  We made a decision as a company that we are honoring the tickets because it is the right thing to do.”  She also asked me to send my request to get the tickets earlier via email to their Customer Relations department and promised to see what she could do.

As of this writing, I’ve received confirmation from the supplier’s Customer Relations department that an individual is working to get my tickets to me well before 48 hours before show time.  If I don’t get them, I will get my money back from Chase.  That won’t be the ideal outcome but it would be better than being out both tickets AND money.

My takeaways:

  • I won’t take a chance on ScoreBig again.  If you do, make sure you’re aware of the risks.
  • I’m very happy to know that the credit card purchase protection covers me if needed.
  • If I ever have the opportunity to do business with the supplier of my tickets again (a broker called DreamTix), I would.  I’m sure their decision is at least partly market driven, but it was also clear that they don’t want excited concert and theater goers to be disappointed.

ScoreBig email:

scorebig-letter

Email:*
Please enter all required fields Click to hide
Correct invalid entries Click to hide
Subscribe
Notify of
guest

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

18 Comments
oldest
newest most voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments