Southwest has launched a new promotion which is offering double Rapid Rewards points on all flights taken by August 31, 2020. Registration is required for this offer, so be sure to do that before making any new reservations.
- Earn double Rapid Rewards points on all Southwest flights.
- Direct link to registration.
- Member must register for this promotion between May 12 and August 31, 2020, and registration must be completed prior to booking and commencement of travel.
- Valid on new qualifying flights booked within the promotional time period.
- Member’s qualifying flight must be booked through Southwest Airlines between May 12 and August 31, 2020 for travel between May 12 and August 31, 2020.
- Member’s flight must be completed between May 12 and August 31, 2020.
- Member’s Rapid Rewards account number must be entered at the time of booking Member’s qualifying flight to earn double Rapid Rewards points for that flight.
- A qualifying flight is a one-way revenue flight on Southwest Airlines from an origin city to a destination city, including any intermediate stops and/or connections or a round trip revenue flight on Southwest Airlines from an origin city to a destination city and back to the originating airport or carrier-recognized co-terminal. Travel booked or flown prior to registration for this promotion is not eligible for the double points offer.
- Rapid Rewards earned points are calculated using base fare. Member will receive 12 bonus points per dollar spent on Business Select fares, 10 bonus points per dollar spent on Anytime fares, and six bonus points per dollar spent on Wanna Get Away fares. Bonus points are in addition to the standard flight points earned through Rapid Rewards. Bonus points will not count toward A-List, A-List Preferred, or Companion Pass qualification.
- Member will receive double Rapid Rewards points within four days after completion of entire ticket. Charter flights, group travel, Companion Pass, Southwest Vacations packages, and reward travel do not qualify for this promotion. Valid on Southwest Airlines published scheduled service. Changes made to the itinerary after purchase may eliminate qualification for promotion.
Similar to the new American Airlines promotion, this promotion isn’t rewarding enough to make it worth specifically booking Southwest over another airline if you have to fly in the next few months. That said, it’s worth registering for this promotion before booking any Southwest flights as earning double points is clearly better than not doing so.
A nice feature of this promotion compared to the American Airlines one is that you don’t have to book your flights in the next week in order to earn the bonus, whereas the American promo requires that you book by May 18. While the American offer is good on flights through the end of the year versus August 31 for this promotion, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Southwest launch another promo once this one expires.
Reservations made before registering for this promotion are excluded from earning double points. You can cancel previously booked flights for free though, so if you have any existing reservations, it would be worth checking their pricing now. If the price is the same or has gone down, rebooking will earn you double points.