Hot diggety dog! This week has been the tightest race yet in our StayCay to far away challenge. I’ve been refreshing stats like a madman for the past few hours, closely monitoring the the dog fight between
Stephen Pepper Truffles and I. It has been fierce. Here’s a recap of the morning:
- 4:52am: Tied score
- 8:28am: Nick moves ahead by two
- 11:08am: Stephen pulls ahead by one
- 11:23am: Nick is back on top by one.
- 11:32am: Stephen is once again ahead by one.
- 11:51am: Tied score!
And doggone it, that’s where we ended: Week 4 is a tie. Stephen nearly came out top dog, but while every dog has its day, the dog didn’t eat my homework this week. But (bow)-wow it was close!
Week 4 standings:
- Stephen and Nick: 72 (Imitation (Time) Travel With Barky McFly #StayCayToFarAway and Welcome to Reyes University. RU Ready? | Travel-themed life hack with Nick | #StayCaytoFarAway)
- Greg: 46 (Everything Bagel Baking! Greg’s Destination Cooking #StayCayToFarAway)
- Carrie: 20 (Carrie’s Dream-like Wedding for the Improv Travel Challenge #StayCaytoFarAway)
Weekly winners thus far:
- Week 1: Nick
- Week 2: Greg
- Week 3: Greg
- Week 4: Stephen and Nick
Interestingly, in Week 1, my Destination Cooking video ran away with first place by a large margin. Greg took Week 2 by just three votes over Carrie. Week 3 was a runaway win for Greg by a large margin. As noted above, Week 4 came down to the wire, with the tie score coming in with just nine minutes to go and Stephen denying me my bid claim two weekly wins on par with Greg’s.
Your chance to vote
Now it’s your turn to pick the StayCay to Far Away overall Champion. You vote in the poll below this paragraph (don’t worry, we’ll republish the poll daily this week to make it easy to find). Polls open right now, with voting scheduled to run for 1 week, ending next Saturday at noon Eastern. While you can vote starting now, you may want to wait, especially if you aren’t thoroughly decided: this week Tuesday through Friday each of us will post at noon pleading our case as to why we are worthy of your vote.
If you know who your champion is, feel free to mail in your ballot by voting right now. If you’d rather see the debate unfold this week and decide on Friday or Saturday morning, we’ll take the opportunity to sway your vote this week. Either way,
don’t forget to vote!
Category champions will be determined by Youtube likes
Keep in mind that category champions (e.g. “Destination Cooking” champ, “Improv Travel” champ, etc) will be decided by Youtube likes. We’ll still tally likes for the next week to determine who wins each overall category, so it’s worth checking out any videos you may have missed and giving those you like a thumbs. Here is the current category leaderboard:
Current Category leaders:
- Destination Cooking: Nick (116)
- Travel-Themed Life Hack: Greg (109)
- Imitation Travel: Greg (118)
- Improv Travel: Greg (76)
StayCay to Far Away Posts:
With each video, the contestant publishes a “behind the scenes” post. If you’ve enjoyed watching, don’t miss the commentary:
- And the #StayCayToFarAway winner is… - Wow, the StayCayToFarAway contest has been fun! As a reminder, all four Frequent Miler team members have been competing against each other in a series of challenges: Destination Cooking, Travel Themed Life Hack, Imitation Travel, and Improv Travel. For each challenge, the task was to create a short video and accompanying post. Winners were determined […]
- When they go low, Carrie goes high – Last chance to vote for Carrie as #StayCaytoFarAway Winner! - While others have taken the low road during this campaign for your #StayCaytoFarAway votes, my integrity demands I go high when they go low. With this as your final chance to cast a vote, consider my heartfelt story below… When the Frequent Miler team began discussing how to adapt our annual challenge amidst the global […]
- The Truth Behind The Frequent Miler Team (AKA #VoteForStephen #SmearCampaign) - Voting has begun for the overall winner of #StayCayToFarAway and the smears have already begun. For example, Greg claimed yesterday that the video for my full English breakfast donut burger needed parental guidance. That was due to a comment of an adult nature that my wife made in the video, but he also said he’d […]
- Amidst scandal, Greg concedes the #StayCayToFarAway championship - A few weeks ago, I was sure that I’d win the StayCayToFarAway contest in a landslide. I had just completed my masterpiece video, Return to Necker Island!, and there was no doubt in my mind that everyone in the world (and maybe some YouTube-watching Martians too) would love it. I would probably win the Nobel […]
- Fighting back: fact-checking Pepper’s claims (aka #Vote4Nick #StayCaytoFarAway champ) - Like everybody else, I saw Stephen Pepper’s video yesterday and I was shocked. I didn’t know what to think about his many slanderous claims or how to respond. I had to do some soul searching and fact checking because I could not let that kind of unchecked aggression stand. And so, dear readers, I present […]
- The worst, most cringeworthy, and grossest moments from #StayCayToFarAway - The StayCayToFarAway contest has been a blast. As a reminder, the Frequent Miler team has been competing against each other in a series of four challenges: Destination Cooking, Travel Themed Life Hack, Imitation Travel, and Improv Travel. For each challenge, our task was to create a short video and accompanying post. The results have been […]
- The home stretch: #StayCaytoFarAway Week 4. Pick the weekly winner. - We are officially in the home stretch: the fourth and final week of #StayCaytoFarAway entries are in, and we once again have a week that’s too close to call on our hands. As of the time of writing, my life hack showing how you can fend off an attacker with just a newspaper is in […]
- Carrie’s Dream-like Wedding for the Improv Travel Challenge #StayCaytoFarAway - You have no idea the crazy, dream-like adventure Stephen sent me on with his slideshow of bizarre US attractions from the 5 year, 50 state road-trip he and his wife are currently undergoing! Heck, even I have almost no idea of what I saw as I yarned my way through a story for it all. […]
- Imitation (Time) Travel With Barky McFly #StayCayToFarAway - Shae and I travel full-time with our dog Truffles and so she comes everywhere with us. Well, almost everywhere. We’ve never taken her on any of our international travels, so she’s missed out on some of our most fun experiences, so she decided to remedy that. How? By jumping in her Fauxlorean and becoming Barky […]
- Welcome to Reyes University. RU Ready? | Travel-themed life hack with Nick | #StayCaytoFarAway - Welcome, class of 2020, to Reyes University, which brings you today’s travel-themed life hack with Nick. Ever found yourself walking through an unfamiliar city and wondered about your safety? Have you had to walk alone at night and wondered how you would defend yourself if attacked? While I’ve found most of the world to be […]
- Everything Bagel Baking! Greg’s Destination Cooking #StayCayToFarAway - Everything Bagels! Gotta love ’em! And now, for my Destination Cooking Challenge, I not only loved ’em, but I baked them too! I got the idea of baking bagels for this challenge when my AncestryDNA® results arrived. I was sure that I would find a fascinating history with a mix of ancient kings, conquerors, and […]
- StayCay to Far Away Week 3 results: Greg “runs” away with it. Continue voting for category champs! - StayCay to Far Away Week 3 is in the books. Greg had a run-away victory this week, but perhaps more surprising (at least to those who voted before the challenge began) is that Greg is now leading three of the four categories overall. Note that it’s very close on Travel-Themed Life Hack, with Greg’s hotel hacks exactly […]
- Streaks of brilliance: Week 3 StayCay to Far Away - StayCay to Far Away is now 75% finished, with all four Week 3 entries posted to YouTube for your edu-joyment. If you missed any this week, now is your chance to see the videos below and click the titles to go through to Youtube and give a thumbs up to those efforts worthy of your […]
- Getting Off My Soapbox (Derby) – Improv Travel With Stephen #StayCayToFarAway - Improv Travel was the #StayCayToFarAway task I was looking forward to the least. I’m not always great with thinking on my feet quickly, so a challenge that required just that skill didn’t bode well for me. Similar to Nick, I tried to prepare beforehand by having a bunch of props on hand. Toilet paper, party […]
- Big Island or Big Fail? Imitation Travel with Nick - I have a confession to make: I search United.com for saver level business class availability to Hawaii every day. After four trips to Hawaii last year (Thank you, Turkish Miles & Smiles!), I am in serious withdrawal. No, I’m not going anywhere right now, but I am addicted to dreaming about when I can go […]
- Cut the cheese! Hotel survival hacks with Greg #StayCayToFarAway - My newest entry in Frequent Miler’s StayCay to Far Away Challenge is a travel themed life hack. Or, rather, several little life hacks to help survive hotel stays. In this video, I cover what you can do (besides the obvious) with… A shower cap Shampoo Sewing kit Turndown service mint! I’ll show you how to […]
- Mochi…Nailed It! Carrie (and her twin sister) tackle the Destination Cooking Challenge for #StayCaytoFarAway - Full disclosure: I’m not much of a cook – never have been. In my 20’s I horrified my roommates by attempting to make brownies with hot chocolate mix instead of cocoa powder and molasses instead of brown sugar. Needless to say, I knew this challenge would be a bit of a long-shot for me. Soliciting […]
- Week 2: Bran-son, Stow away, breakfast for dinner: who wins? #StayCaytoFarAway - StayCay to Far Away Week 2 is now completely published and ready for your viewing pleasure. Will it be Greg’s Bran-son video that takes the cake? Will Stephen’s English Breakfast Donut Burger satiate your need for savory and sweet? Will Carrie maintain a lead she is still holding at the time of writing — just two […]
- Skating through Improv Travel with Nick #StayCaytoFarAway - After Greg’s phenomenal entry to StayCay to FarAway yesterday, I spent the entire afternoon and much of the evening setting up an elaborate array of props, planning an intro and outro and ready to work in several specific things during my three minutes of air time. However, ever the deft competitor, Greg set me up: […]
- Return to Necker Island! #StayCayToFarAway - Wow, this was fun! Four years ago my wife and I spent a week on Richard Branson’s Necker Island. We had a fantastic time. And now, thanks to this blog’s StayCay to Far Away Challenge, I had an opportunity to return to Necker Island… for free! My goal was to recreate the Necker Island experience […]