Several cash back and mile-earning portals offer rebates/miles for shopping for American Express gift cards. The best current cash-back offer is via TopCashBack, which is now offering 3% cash back. They are also offering a code to remove shipping fees from business gift cards (but you’ll still have to pay card fees): FSEMP14.
In the past few months, whenever TopCashBack has changed their Amex gift card payouts, other portals (BigCrumbs, Barclaycard RewardsBoost, Alaska MileagePlan Shopping, etc.) have followed soon after by changing their payouts as well, so keep an eye out for those. For now, here are the best current rates from alternate portals (the best mile-earning option currently is the Arrival card 2X, which translates to 2.22% towards travel):
- BigCrumbs: 1.2%
- Barclaycard Arrival Rewards Boost: 2X miles (requires Arrival card)
Please read: Everything you ever wanted to know about Amex gift cards. And, if you still have questions, please ask via the comments of that post so that we can keep information about Amex gift cards in one place.
- Amex gift cards do not have PINs. They cannot be used to load Bluebird cards.
- Some credit card companies (such as Citibank) charge cash advance fees when purchasing these online.
- Portals often state that using codes not found on their site will invalidate cash back / miles earned. This has not been my experience. I use codes for free gift cards every time. Try SYNCGIFT, for example.
- Some portals restrict the top card amount to $500. You can easily circumvent this by logging into your Amex account (after clicking through from the portal) and then you’ll see values up to $3000. Yes, you should still get cash back or miles (that has been my experience).
- Cash back can take several months to go from pending to payable.
- Miles often take several weeks or even a month or more to post, but then appear immediately in your mileage account.
- Everything you ever wanted to know about Amex gift cards
- How to Spend Down Amex Gift Cards
- Links to sign up for cash back portals (and other things), can be found here.
Never miss a Quick Deal. Subscribe here.
Last updated on November 13th, 2015