Every few months, Aeroplan offers a bonus of 30-35% when transferring hotel points to your Aeroplan account. They’re once again offering a 35% bonus which is valid until December 3, but with Marriott being excluded you’re unlikely to get good value from this promotion.
- Transfer select hotel points to Aeroplan with a 35% bonus.
- Direct link to offer.
- Bonus offer valid only on conversions received from eligible participating hotel partner loyalty programs points into Aeroplan Miles made between November 25th and December 3rd, 2019 (23:59 EDT).
- Bonus Aeroplan Miles will be issued by Aeroplan as follows: once the total Aeroplan Miles are earned by exchanging points from any combination of eligible partner programs during the promotion, the bonus miles deposited will represent 35% of the total miles earned from the exchange.
- Bonus Aeroplan Miles may take up to 4‑6 weeks to be credited after the promotional offer end date of December 3, 2019.
- The Marriott Bonvoy program is not participating in this conversion campaign. While members can continue to convert their Marriott Bonvoy points into Aeroplan Miles, these conversions will not be eligible for this bonus miles promotion.
- While the conversion of Membership Rewards points from American Express Card members accounts into Aeroplan Miles is still possible, it is not eligible for this bonus miles promotion.
- Bonus Aeroplan Miles received from the exchange of hotel loyalty program points into Aeroplan Miles are not eligible for status in the Aeroplan program.
- Please note that some hotel loyalty programs have hotel and flight redemption packages where Aeroplan Miles are issued. It is at the discretion of each Hotel Program if these miles are deemed a conversion of points to miles or simply a bonus earned for the redemption.
These Aeroplan transfer bonuses can be worth considering when Marriott is an eligible partner. That’s because Marriott Bonvoy points can already be transferred at a somewhat reasonable ratio of 3:1, improving to 3:1.25 when transferring in 60,000 point increments, so a 35% bonus makes that partnership even better value.
Unfortunately Marriott is excluded from this promotion, so the remaining options aren’t very exciting. Here are the eligible hotel partners (the figures below take the 35% bonus into account):
- IHG Rewards Club – 10,000:2,700
- Hilton Honors – 10,000:1,350
- Radisson Rewards – 2,000:270
- Best Western Rewards – 5,000:1,350
- Wyndham Rewards – 6,000:1,620
- Coast Rewards – 1,000:1,350
- Choice Privileges – 5,000:1,350
- Le Club AccorHotels – 4,000:2,700
- Shangri-La Golden Circle – 1:1.35
As you can see, in almost all cases it’s not worth considering transferring hotel points even with the 35% bonus as it doesn’t provide good value. The exception might be if you have a few thousand orphaned Radisson Rewards points; although getting 270 Aeroplan miles per 2,000 points is poor, it’s better than letting them go to waste entirely.
The minimum transfer requirement for other programs means orphaned points could be a moot point compared to redeeming them for award stays. For example, 10,000 IHG Rewards Club could get you two free nights at a 5,000 point PointBreaks property or one night at a 10,000 property. I’m not familiar with Coast Rewards, but their award chart says that 1,000 points gets you a free night, so giving up a free night for 1,350 Aeroplan miles doesn’t seem worth it either.