|Sorry, this deal is no longer available. Do you want to be alerted about new deals as they’re published? Click here to subscribe to Frequent Miler's Instant Posts by email.|
United has changed its long-standing promotion with Hertz that awards United MileagePlus miles her Hertz rentals. Through this lucrative promotion, it has long been possible to earn more than 2,000 miles per Hertz rental — even when the rental period was just one day. Unfortunately, United has instituted a 2-day minimum in order to earn miles, significantly devaluing this promo if you often used it for 1-day rentals.
- Negative change: United / Hertz promo now requires a rental of two or more days
- Direct link to this promotion
- Minimum rental = 2 days
- Discount Code (CDP) 62455, Promotion Code (PC) 204508 and MileagePlus number required for this offer
- Earn up to 1,250 MileagePlus award miles (based on your status with United or as a cardholder)
- Receive an additional 1,500 miles when you book a mid-size or larger Hertz car for two or more days on united.com through September 30, 2018
- See promo page for full terms
The most recent time this promotion got extended (back in April, See: Up to 2750 United miles per Hertz booking), this 2-day minimum did not yet apply. This is definitely a bummer for those who have historically taken advantage of cheap 1-day rentals to earn a nice haul of miles. In my case, I found the value of the miles to nearly offset the cost of the rental in many cases for a single day rental.
You will of course still earn miles based on your United elite status or your status and a cardholder.
The minimum 2-day rental here applies to the 1500 bonus United miles earned with promotion code.
It appears that United has newly partnered with RentalCars.com on this deal, which certainly could have something to do with the devaluation. Moving forward, this promotion will certainly lose some value, though if you regularly rented for two days or more you may not notice much difference apart from a new booking site.
One key benefit of the switch to a RentalCars.com interface is that you can now see how many miles you will earn from your rental. That’s a nice change that should eliminate surprises and make it easy to take screen shots for record keeping.
H/T: One Mile at a Time
Last updated on October 6th, 2018