United MileagePlus Shopping is offering an ‘Autumn bounty’ bonus when you shop through the portal from October 1 – October 15, 2018, whereby you can earn up to 1500 bonus miles if you spend $350. That works out to about 4.29 extra miles per dollar.
- The United MileagePlus Shoppind Portal is awarding bonus miles when you reach the following spend thresholds through the shopping portal:
- Get 500 bonus miles when you spend $150
- Get 1,500 bonus miles when you spend $350
- Direct link to Mileage Plus Shopping
- Valid from 10/01/18 through 10/15/18 at 11:59:59 pm ET
- You will earn a one-time bonus based on cumulative purchases (i.e. if you spend $150 on purchase #1 and $200 on purchase #2, you get 1500 bonus miles as you’ll have hit the tier 2 requirement)
- Purchase amount excludes shopping / taxes
- Miles typically post 6-8 weeks after the end of the promo period
As we head into the holiday shopping season, we will surely see more and more shopping portal bonuses. I’d bet that we’ll see some with the potential for an even larger haul of miles, but earning more miles beats earning fewer if you have a purchase to make now. Be sure to consider the additional miles when figuring your return on purchases. For example, United is currently offering 20 miles per dollar at eBags.
If you were making a purchase of exactly $350, that would work out to a total of 24.29 miles per dollar — you’d earn 8,500 miles on a purchase of $350. That’s enough miles for a one-way partner award flight under 800 miles outside of North America. For example, you could fly from Tokyo to Seoul for 8K miles one way.
Getting 8500 miles back on a $350 purchase could be a particularly good deal if you were planning a trip to Japan.
As always, use a tool like CashBackMonitor.com to compare rates and be sure you’re getting the best deal.