Sears is offering 6 miles per dollar through the United MileagePlus Shopping portal. Sears currently pays out through portals both for buying and using gift cards.
You can stack this deal with the portal’s current 1000 mile bonus promotion. Earn 1,000 bonus miles when you spend $250 through the portal.
Here’s how to stack these opportunities for maximum earnings:
- Go through portal to buy a $125 e-gift card, or reload an existing gift card with $125.
- Pay with a Discover card if you haven’t yet maxed out this quarter’s 5% cash back at Home Improvement stores.
- Call Sears at 1-888-396-5299 to expedite processing of your gift card (you need it today for the next step)
- Go through portal again to buy $125 worth of merchandise. Pay with the gift card.
Here’s how the miles add up:
- Buy $125 gift card: 6 x 125 = 750
- Pay with Discover card: 5% x $125 = $6.25 cash back
- Buy $125 worth of merchandise with gift card: 6 x 125 = 750
- Earn 1,000 bonus miles for total of $250 spend
- Total miles earned: 2,500
- Miles per dollar: 2,500 / $125 = 20
Note that this math only works in the admittedly unrealistic scenario where you spend exactly $125 on merchandise and if you haven’t done any other shopping through the United portal towards the 1,000 mile promo.
Never miss a Quick Deal. Subscribe here.
Last updated on September 29th, 2014