|Sorry, this deal is no longer available. Do you want to be alerted about new deals as they’re published? Click here to subscribe to Frequent Miler's Instant Posts by email.|
Thanks to Big Habitat for pointing this out…
Today, the Alaska MileagePlan Shopping portal is offering 8X at Sears (no word yet on whether this will last beyond today). This is stackable with other offers…
MileagePlan Shopping holiday bonus miles (7X):
- Spend $100 earn 700 bonus miles
- Spend $200 earn 1,400 bonus miles
- Spend $300 earn 2,100 bonus miles
Gift cards, double the bonuses
Sears allows you to earn points on both the purchase and use of Sears’ gift cards. In fact, the portal encourages it (see photo):
NOTE: This does not work with partner gift cards in which you click through from Sears to giftcardmall.
NOTE 2: After placing the order for a gift card, call 1-888-396-5299 to verify your order in order to expedite processing.
By buying gift cards and then using gift cards, you can essentially double the shopping portal 8X bonus and the holiday bonus miles! So, the portal click through bonus becomes 16X and the holiday bonus can become 14X (by buying half as much “stuff”. Example: to get the $100 bonus, buy a $50 gift card through the portal, then go through the portal again to buy $50 worth of stuff using the gift card to pay).
Quarterly credit card bonuses 5X
Both Discover and Chase Freedom are offering 5X this quarter at department stores. When buying Sears’ e-gift cards, they count as Sears department store purchases.
You can also buy Sears physical gift cards to get the Discover bonus, but they will not count for the Freedom bonus since they are sold by Kmart.
With either option, you can also reload an existing Sears gift card (physical or e-gift card). That will process from Sears.com and will give the 5X bonus. Gift cards can be loaded up to a maximum of $500.
- Go through MileagePlan portal and buy $150 e-gift card. Earn 8X = 1200 miles.
- Pay with Chase Feedom or Discover It card. Earn 5X = 750 points (or $7.50 cash back).
- Go through MileagePlan portal again and buy $150 worth of merchandise. Earn 8X = 1200 miles.
- Qualify for MileagePlan holiday shopping bonus: 2,100 miles.
- Total points/miles earned on $150 spend: 5,250
- Points/miles earned per dollar: 35!
Big Habitat reminds us that you can use your gift cards at Sears to buy items that return nearly 100% back in points (see his post for a couple of current options). In this way, you can theoretically get another 8X miles on top of those shown above!